"Sausage" Bread Pudding
December, 1995, Newsletter
8 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
1 teaspoon JO's Sausage Seasoning
3/4 cup Yoplait plain fat-free yogurt
1/3 cup Carnation nonfat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
6 eggs or equivalent in egg substitute
1/2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained (2.5 ounce jar)
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
6 slices reduced calorie white or Italian bread, broken into pieces
1/3 cup shredded Kraft reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet sprayed with butter flavored cooking spray, brown meat and JO's Sausage Seasoning.
3. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, dry milk powder and cornstarch. Add eggs. Blend until smooth and fluffy. Add sliced mushrooms, green onion, dry mustard, black pepper and bread pieces. Mix gently to combine.
4. Pour into an 8x8 inch baking dish sprayed with butter flavored cooking spray. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top. Continue baking until center is done and cheddar cheese melts, about 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Place baking dish on wire rack and let set 5 minutes.
HE 2 1/2 PR (1 limited), 1/2 Br., 1/3 SM, 1/4 vegetable
217 Calories, 9 gm FA, 21 gm PR., 13 gm Ca., 341 mg So., 1 gm Fi
Diabetic: 2 Mt., 1 St
Hint: 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon ground sage, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder can be used instead of JO's Sausage Seasoning.
This freezes well