I made these pancakes this morning. I cut the recipe in half and didn't make the strawberry soft serve. These pancakes are glorious - crispy, coconuty, and almost buttery even though there isn't any butter in them. I think it is from the rich coconut milk. I didn't put any syrup on them they were so good just the way they were. I did have to add more flour to my batter as they were hard to turn on the griddle.
From Oh She Glows ohsheglows.com/2011/03/20/strawberry-short
Pancakes adapted from Bon Appetit Spiced Coconut Pancakes.
Yield: 2 servings (8 small pancakes)
* 1 cup + 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* generous 1/4 tsp nutmeg
* generous 1/4 tsp allspice
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
* Pinch or two kosher salt
* 3/4 cup Coconut Milk (I used regular, not low-fat, but I assume both work)
* 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
* 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
* 3/4 cup warm water
* Oil, for skillet
* Strawberry Banana Soft Serve (3 strawberries + 1 frozen banana, processed in food processor)
1. Preheat oven to 250F and grab a baking sheet. Whisk the dry ingredients (flour, coconut, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt) in a medium sized bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (coconut milk, warm water, vanilla, maple syrup) and then add to the dry ingredients. Whisk well until no clumps remain.
2. Preheat the skillet over medium heat and add some oil on the pan. Pour 1/4 cup of batter, per pancake, onto the skillet and quickly smooth out a circle with the back of a spoon. Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface and the bottoms of pancakes are golden. Reduce heat if necessary (I cook them on heat # ‘3’). Transfer to baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, slice about 20 strawberries. I also made Strawberry Banana soft serve by processing a frozen banana with a few strawberries to make the cream sauce. Once my pancakes were stacked, I scooped the strawberry banana soft serve on top. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve immediately. makes 8 small pancakes.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato
"I never look back, detracts from the now." Edna Mole - "The Incredibles"
October: "Being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining a healthy weight is hard. Choose your hard."
Vince Lombardi: "We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible."
Stephen Dolley "A man who wants something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse"
|630 Days since: added sugar