What to Do About Mold
Last week I introduced the topic of mold allergies. Today’s about dealing with mold, both visible and invisible–at least to the naked eye.
And visible mold likes to hide, so we may not actually see it or know for sure it’s there, but all the hacking, wheezing and blowing creates big-time suspicions. Here’s a tip: A musty odor means mold’s lurking on the premises. But mold can be odorless, too.
Whether it’s visible or invisible, musty-smelling or odorless, mold causes problems.
Your body will tell you what’s going on. You may pass allergy tests with flying colors, but your symptoms speak the truth.
All allergies involve our immune system, a part of the endocrine system. Well, when one part of the endo system’s duking it out with troublemakers, all the others jump in to help. Which means not a one of them can function at 100%, and they may start falling like dominos.
This domino effect is why I keep jumping up and down about our need to know what each part of the endo system is supposed to do. You may never determine which one started the mess, but you’re not going to fix anything unless you figure out which endo glands need help.
In the meantime, let’s talk about how to give your endo system some support by reducing the levels of mold it has to put up with.
A solid vitamin/mineral program leads the parade here. Endo systems slurp up vitamins and minerals like crazy. Probably because they’re ammunition in the war against toxins–including mold or other airborne allergens.
Don’t get the dietary supplement, Airborne. It contains soy, sucralose and other endo-damaging ingredients.
This is the stuff that crawls up walls and across floors. But, since it doesn’t like light, black mold usually hides in dark places. Besides being toxic crud, black mold throws its spores–by the carload–into the air we breathe.
Mold grows well wherever it’s damp, so kitchens and bathrooms are targets. Be sure to fix all leaks, clean out drip pans under refrigerators and freezers, maintain the caulk in showers and tubs so water can’t slip into cracks and do dastardly things unnoticed, etc.
House plants generally do more good than harm healthwise, but anybody with a severe allergy might consider ditching plants or covering the soil with garden-shop charcoal.
How to kill the black stuff
• Do NOT use bleach. It doesn’t really kill mold, but the fumes can do a number on you. Hydrogen peroxide works on mold–and not on you. What a concept! Check out an e-book on all the things hydrogen peroxide does at http://budurl.com/k476.
• Use an ozone generator for a one-time–or once in a while–kill. Ozone gas is hard on lungs, so you rent (or buy) an ozone generator, put it in a room, set the timer and let it do its thing while you leave the house for several hours.
Ozone goes through carpeting, upholstery, between walls, between floors, under floor boards, through the duct work, pretty much everywhere, killing mold–including the breeders that keep creating the stuff–as it goes. Kills odors, too.
• Wallboard can get terminally infected with mold. If the ozone doesn’t fix the problem, you have to replace it. Perhaps basement wallboard wasn’t installed to prevent mold growth. There’s an art to finishing a basement, and few builders seem to know it. Flood damage can mean new wallboard, too. Pretty much new everything, for that matter.
Black mold sends armies of spores out for your breathing inconvenience. Evergreen trees do, too. And lakes. Some foods. The question is not whether mold spores surround you, but whether you react poorly to their presence.
Like all living things, mold has a circadian clock. (Well, who knew!) Evergreen trees send out a storm of mold spores in the dark of night (about 2 a.m.). The darkness provides life support for the spores, and your humming air conditioner brings them into the house. Then your adrenals crank up, releasing a flood of cortisol to fight back. Well, cortisol’s supposed to be low at night, so if you wake at 3 a.m. and wonder why, consider a mold allergy.
Think mold, too, if you wake up with a head full of bad stuff every day.
Pollens do their damage in the light; mold works in the dark.
Get super-duper furnace filters to help out. The one with the best reviews is the 3M Allergen Filtrete 1250.
Dehumidifiers can help by reducing the moisture in the air, but only if you keep them sparkling clean.
How to kill mold spores
• Negative ions kill airborne allergens. You can buy fans with an ion generator. Himalayan salt lamps silently pump out negative ions whilst looking pretty, too. Negative ions actually help the endo system. Lungs, too.
• Ultraviolet lights kill most airborne allergens–and all mold–as they move past the light. I read you should put them in your air ducts; somehow or another, though, you have to able to plug them in.
UV lights damage your eyes in a trice if you look at the lighted bulb, so put them behind something. Since kids are especially vulnerable, place the lights carefully–and out of reach. And warn the kids you’ll never allow them to get a driver’s license or date if they even get close. :)
Finally, you need to make your endocrine glands happy and repair any damage you inflicted on your liver (high fructose corn syrup anyone?). I talk about both in my Moving to Health program; the long format there allows me to connect all the dots.
Until next time then.
God is good,
P.S. Remember. I'm not a doctor, just a patient like you. Luckily for both of us, I've been studying this stuff for years. Knowledge is power.
Permission to post was grant!
"In God We Trust"
"Knowledge is the Power, Make it Happen!"
"If you are learning you are growing, if you are growing you are living"
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦: