I LOVE the Galloway method for so many reasons...
1. It allows me to plan my break, which is so much more motivating than having to stop because I can't run any more.
2. It keeps my overall pace consistent throughout the run.
3. It helps me maintain my form so I don't get injured.
4. I can adjust my run/walk ratio depending on my training. I did my first half using a run 4/walk 1 program; my last 2 halves I've used a 5/1; and if I continue distance training, I'm going to switch to a 6/1 or a 5/:30 interval.
5. I could go on and on. The funny thing is that when non-runners say to me, "I couldn't run a mile!", I can answer with "Neither can I! I do it 5 minutes at a time." And that's a goal that is doable for most people.
Good luck with your training!
p.s. I was in a run last week with women who were doing a 2/1 interval. It did seem like a lot of walking to me, but it worked for them. Us Galloway people just need to keep in mind that we should check behind us and then signal before we start walking so we don't turn into someone else's speed bump.
August 15, 2012 left knee microfracture and meniscus repair surgery. 4 weeks on the floor in a CPM, 8 weeks on crutches. Still working towards full recovery.
Nov. 28, 2010 Space Coast Half Marathon, PR 2:12
Nov. 25, Suntree Turkeytrot 10K, 1:03
Nov. 21, 2010 St. Petersburg Women's Half Marathon PR 2:24
Nov. 6, 2010 Space Coast Classic 15K 1:33
February 7, 2010 Disney Princess Half Marathon 2:43 (including one looong bathroom break :-) )
|Total SparkPoints: 9,523
|SparkPoints Level 10