From George Mateljan's "The World's Healthiest Foods"
10 min no bake!
PEARS WITH ORANGE GINGER TOPPING
Ginger adds a zing to Pears for a savory dessert.
6 oz low-fat vanilla or soy yogurt
3 T undiluted frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 t grated fresh ginger
2 T honey
2 fresh Pears
1. Whisk orange juice concentrate, ginger and honey into yogurt until the honey is well incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
2. Cut pear in quarters and core. Dice into 1/4" pieces and divide into 2 dessert dishes.
3. Spoon the yogurt sauce over Pears.
hint: if you don't have fresh ginger, 1/2 t powdered ginger may be substituted.
5 Quick Serving Ideas for Pears:
1. Serve sliced Pears with gorgonzola, goat or blue cheese for a delightful dessert (make sure it's gf of course).
2. Pear and Watercress Salad: Combine pear slices with watercress, thinly sliced leeks, mustard greens and walnuts for a delicious salad. Serve with Healthy Vinaigrette (see below).
3. Pear and Millet Porridge (see below): Add 1 medium chopped Pear, 1 t grated fresh ginger and 1 T honey to millet porridge for a pungently sweet breakfast treat.
4. Pears w/Lemon Sauce: Drizzle sliced Pears with Quick Lemon Sauce (see below).
5. Pears with Almond Cashew Cream: Make cashew cream (see below) using gf almond extract. Slice 1-2 Pears and sprinkle with lemon juice. Dip Pear slices in sauce. Optional: sprinkle with cinnamon.
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T fresh lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
sea salt and gf pepper to taste.
QUICK LEMON SAUCE (can also be made with lime)
(a versatile sauce that is quick and easy to prepare and complements many types of fruits.)
3 T cream honey (whipped honey, often at health food stores)
2 t lemon juice
1 t lemon zest (use organic to avoid wax coating)
1. Mix all ingredients in sm. bowl.
2. Spoon over fresh fruit or low-fat yogurt.
3. Squeeze lime or lemon juice and a few drips of gf tamari onto avocado slices and enjoy.
(this creamy sauce is great on fruit or as a pudding.)
1 c cashews
1/2 c water
1 T gf maple syrup or to taste
pinch of sea salt
1. Blend all ingredients in the blender on high speed until smooth (2-3 mins).
2. Add additional water in small amounts to create desired consistency.
Optional: Soak the cashews in water for 2 hours before blending for creamier consistency.
-add 1-1/2 t gf almond or gf vanilla extract for a different flavor
- add cinnamon to recipe.
KNOWLEDGE = POWER. BODY = TEMPLE. FOOD = MEDICINE. PREVENTION IS THE CURE. YOU ARE WHAT YOU ABSORB!
One person's food is another person's poison.
Celiac Disease: An autoimmune reaction from eating gluten grains: wheat, rye, barley and contaminated oats=nutrient deficiency=cancer. Have 1 of 300 symptoms? bit.ly/cdsymptoms
CD stories: bit.ly/cdstories
|2,871 Days since: gluten