Banana Tea Bread
this recipe originally appeared on the old St Johns list and later posted by a member of the Phoenix Celiacs (my source). The first time I made it, I marked it as *Excellent! and have been making it since 2005. It is a favourite. Please read notes below recipe for details, variations, substitutions, etc.
Preheat oven to 350 F
1 3/4 cups gluten free flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs (well beaten)
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2lg or 3sm bananas?)
Optional: add 1/2 tsp cinammon
Mix together dry ingredients (except sugar) in one bowl, set aside.
Cream the butter in another bowl, gradually adding sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the beaten eggs and beat thoroughly.
Stir in mashed bananas.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and beat after each addition.
Turn the batter into a prepared bread pan or muffin pan. Bake at 350 about 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown and skewer comes out clean
- GF flour - I use Bette Hagmans original basic mix only with brown rice flour - for a large flour mix -
3 c. brown rice flour + 1 c. potato startch + 1/2 c. tapioca starch
- I add a tbsp of ground flax seed to my dry mix
- I use 1/2 c. sugar after making it the first time since I like a less sweet banana bread. The sweetness is affected by the ripeness of your bananas.
- I only use butter but poster used regular margarine
- Baking Powder - mine uses tapioca starch, not corn
- I've never added cinnamon as I am allergic to it.
- preparing pans - poster used wax paper then greased with shortening and dusted with gf flour. I use parchment paper in a loaf pan or grease a 12 muffin stoneware pan.
- baking time was 60 minutes in poster's oven for the bread pan. If I use a loaf pan, mine takes 1hr & 10 min. Muffins take less time so watch them after 45 min.
I agree with the poster that the bread was very moist and held together wonderfully. This is the only Banana bread recipe I now make!
Edited by: GFNOMAD at: 9/19/2008 (12:34)
| current weight: 134.4