I saw the recipe for Potstickers and thought of when I made these fortune cookies for a celiac support group outing to a local Asian restaurant. The hardest part was making up the fortunes to put inside!
Source: Celiac List Serv/original recipe available on www.missroben.com
Ingredients: My changes in parentheses. This recipe makes 40-50.
Fortune printed on 3 x 3/4" thin papers
3/4 cup unbeaten egg whites -approx 5-6 eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup melted margarine (butter)
1 cup gluten free flour mixture (1 1/2 cups Bette Hagaman's featherlite mix)
3/4 cup finely chopped blanched almonds
1/2 tsp. vanilla or 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine and mix egg whites, sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved.
3. Stir in separately and beat until well blended the margarine, flour,xanthan gum, almonds and flavoring.
4. Drop the dough in tablespoons, well apart, onto an ungreased baking sheet. Use parchment paper
5. Bake about 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
6. Mold cookie (curl) over a wooden spoon handle.
7. Insert fortune paper in each cookie letting part of the paper project.
8. Pinch the ends of the roll closed while the cookie is still warm.
Cheryl in Colorado
Start 276.8/ goal 190