|Author:||Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:||
Thanks for sharing
Through the stress
And a touch of strife
I proudly serve the Army Mom life
MY SON has got your back
U. S. Army
Support our Troops
Blue Star Mother
Proud Army Mom
1. Remove all loose wires, cords and throw rugs.
2. Keep floors free of clutter.
3. Be sure all carpets and area rugs have skid-proof backing or are tacked to the floor.
4. Do not use slippery wax on bare floors.
5. Keep furniture in its accustomed place.
6. Install grab bars on the bathroom walls beside the tub, shower and toilet.
7. Use a non-skid rubber mat in the shower or tub.
8. If you are unsteady on your feet, consider using a plastic chair with a back and non-skid
legs in the shower or tub, and use a hand-held showerhead to bathe.
9. Use non-skid mats or rugs on the floor near the stove and sink.
10. Clean up spills as soon as they happen (in the kitchen and anywhere in the home).
11. Place light switches within reach of your bed and a night light between the bedroom and
12. Keep a flashlight with fresh batteries beside your bed.
13. Keep stairwells well lit, with light switches at the top and the bottom.
14. Install sturdy handrails on both sides of stairs.
15. Mark the top and bottom steps of stairs with bright tape.
16. Make sure carpeting is secure on steps of stairs and throughout your home.
17. Cover porch steps with gritty, weatherproof paint.
18. Install handrails on both sides of porch steps.
19. Place items you use most often within easy reach. Avoid stooping or bending.
20. Use assistive devices to help avoid strain or injury. Use a long-handled grasping device
to pick up items and use a pushcart to transfer hot or heavy items.
21. If you must use a stepstool, use a sturdy one with a handrail and wide steps.
22. Consider wearing a personal emergency response system (PERS) or keeping a portable
telephone with you so you can call for help immediately if you fall.
23. Donít get up too quickly after eating, sitting or lying flat.
24. Talk to your healthcare professional or pharmacist about the side effects of drugs you
take. Some can make you feel dizzy or drowsy.
25. If you are unsteady on your feet, use a cane or walker at all times.
(From The National Osteoporosis Foundation www.nof.org)
Those who think they have no time for a healthy lifestyle will sooner or later will have to find time for illness.