Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 6/12/10 12:44 A
3-3 100 % 36-45 80 % 67 % all time
1.How many calories are equal to one pound of body fat? (3500)
2.When exercising with high blood pressure, what is the best advice to follow? There were 4 choices which were all correct examples would be(1) talk to doctor first before exercising,(2) start slowly,(3) never hold breath and (4)use measures other then heart rate for monitoring exercise intensity
3.Although menopause usually does not require extra medical care, a woman should see her doctor if: 4 reasons given, were all correct
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/11/10 10:08 A
1. Vegans need to take supplemental vitamin B-12. True. 2. If you take time off of stop strength training, how quickly will your muscles begin to lose strength? Within two weeks. 3. Men who exercise for 1 hour, 5 times per week can reduce their risk of stroke by how much? Half.
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/10/10 8:42 A
1. A woman is said to be in menopause when: She has gone one full year without experiencing a menstrual period. 2. How many calories does a single gram of carbohydrate provide? 4. 3. True or False: Stretching can cause injury. True. 4. Insulin resistance occurs in the early stages of Type 2 diabetes. What does insulin resistance mean? The body's cells don't use insulin properly.
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/9/10 10:12 A
1. How many nutrients are lost when whole grains are refined into white flour? 17 (I said 13). 2. BMI is the most accurate way to determine a person's degree of obesity. False. 3. Increased thirst and urination, coupled with fatigue and weight loss could be symptoms of what condition? Type 2 diabetes. 4. True or False: Breastfeeding longer than six moths INCREASES a child's risk of developing allergies. False.
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/8/10 10:15 A
1. For best results, how long should you hold a stretch? 15-30 seconds. 2. How many calories does a single gram of alcohol contain? 7 (I said 4). 3. How many colds does the average adult catch each year? 2-4. 4. On average, which mayonnaise-based salad contains FEWER calories? Coleslaw (I said Potato salad). 5. True or False: A vitamin E deficiency is common in the U.S. False (I said True). 6. __ GRAMS of sugar listed on a nutrition label is equal to 1 teaspoon of sugar. 4.
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 6/8/10 12:52 A
3-4 75% 24-30 80% 67% all time
1.Which of the following nutrients can be found in flaxseeds? Lignans,Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein (all of them)
2.True or False: The frozen dessert known as 'Italian ice' contains milk, just like ice cream does. (F) Missed 3.The blood pressure-lowering benefits of exercise can be observed how soon after starting a workout program? (within hours) 4.True or False: The nutrient content of an egg depends mostly on whether or not the eggs come from free range chickens (F)
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/7/10 10:53 A
1. Can food labels that list "0" trans fats actually contain trans fats? Yes. 2. True or False: SparkPeople's application for the iPhone and iPod touch costs just $1.99. False. 3. To make refined or bleached "white flour" , what part of the wheat kernel is removed? A and B only (A-The wheat bran, B-The wheat germ).
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/6/10 10:57 A
Did a little better today. I am learning, the more I get these questions wrong. It also helps to write these down. Helps the information to sink in.
1. True or False: As long as you're working hard, you don't need to change your workout routine. False. 2. True or False: Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. False (I said True). 3. True or False: Even if you are at a healthy weight, risk for developing hypertension is greater if you do not exercise regularly. True. 4. Vitamin D and calcium work hand in hand to fight the osteoporosis often associated with aging. How much vitamin D do you need each day in order to absorb the calcium you consume? 400 -800 IU (I said 100-200 IU). 5. True or False: If you're not active or exercising after eating a meal or snack, the food you eat will turn into body fat. False.
Fitness Minutes: (59,745) Posts: 21,393 6/6/10 10:25 A
MYSTERYROSE74 - I have second guessed myself also, sometimes I get a headache from thinking too much Like Monty said as long as we keep learning (I did) and keep plugging ahead. I just might use some of these for a challenge to help us out.
My questions for today
1. All grains and grain based foods contain gluten. Answer=False. I am glad I got this right since I can't eat gluten
2. How many grams of sugar are in a teaspoon? 4 grams
3. strength training builds stronger what? answer all - which are tendons, ligaments, bones, and joints.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.’” (C.S. Lewis)
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/5/10 11:47 A
Bad one for me today.
1. If your friend becomes obese, your chance of becoming obese, too, increases by how much? 57% (I said 47%.) 2. How much calcium do adults between the ages of 19 and 50 need each day? 1,000 mg. 3. True or False: Only liposuction can remove cellulite. False (I said true.) 4. True or False: Taking (or eating) extra vitamin B-12 can boost your energy levels. True (I said False). 5. What is the role of insulin in the body? It helps convert glucose (from food) into usable energy (I got it wrong). 6. Which of the following people is most likely to develop high blood pressure? A 75-year-old woman. 7. True or False: The same two bacteria cultures are used to make all yogurts. True (I said False). 8. Which conventionally grown vegetable tends to be HIGHEST in pesticide residue? Bell peppers (I second guessed myself). 9. True of False: The key to developing muscle strength is to create tension within the muscle. True.
Today: 33% correct. Ugh. This month: 68% All time: 67%
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/4/10 10:03 A
1. True or False: Very slow weight loss is not beneficial in the long run. False. 2. What is the leading cause of death in the United States? Heart disease. 3. According to the UISDA, which chocolate product contains the highest concentration of healthy compounds? Unsweetened cocoa powder.
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 6/4/10 12:54 A
3-3 100% 12-13 92% 67 % 1.True or False: Research shows that you are more likely to receive accurate weight loss advice on high-activity message boards like Spark People’s (T) 2.Vitamin D and calcium work hand in hand to fight the osteoporosis often associated with aging. How much vitamin D do you need each day in order to absorb the calcium you consume? (400-800 IU) 3.True or False: Chronic stress can literally make you sick. (T)
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/3/10 9:33 A
1. What is the name of the condition of an UNDERACTIVE thyroid? Hypothyroid. 2. What kind of resistance do dumbbells provide? Fixed resistance. 3. Which of the following statements about monosaturated fatty acids is true? They are liquid at room temperature.
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 6/3/10 1:31 A
3-3 100% 9-10 90% 67% lifetime
1.To lose body fatm It doesn’t matter what you eat as long as you stay within your calorie range (F) 2. The 3 oz box of candy from a movie theatre is (sno caps) 3. Men who exercise 1 hour 5 days a week can reduce their risk of stroke by half
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/2/10 9:43 A
1. You logged extra time on the treadmill this morning and weighed yourself after. The scale dropped 2 pounds. Why? You lost 2 pounds of water from sweating. 2. What level of serum (blood) cholesterol is considered healthy? Below 200 mg/dL 3. How many servings of ice cream are in a single pint? Four.
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 6/2/10 9:27 A
3-3 6-7 86% 67%
1. Sunscreen blocks the body’s ability to make vitamin D when exposed to sunlight (T) 2. Collard greens ( 1 cup) contains most calcium per serving from the choices 3. 10 teaspoons of sugar in a 12 oz can of soda
Fitness Minutes: (57,584) Posts: 7,621 6/1/10 9:42 A
1. Which of the following supplements can help prevent colds and the flu? None of the above (echinacea, vitamin C, or zinc). 2. True or False: Besides foods fortified with calcium, you can only get calcium from dairy foods like milk and yogurt. False. (Got it wrong) 3. True or False: Surrounding yourself with people who tend to overeat makes YOU more likely to overeat, too. True. 4. True or False: Chronic stress can literally make you sick. True.
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 5/31/10 12:45 A
3-3 100% 93-121 77% 1131-1688 67%
1. White turkey meat versus dark turkey meat will save you 4 fat grams per 4 oz. 2. How many types of diabetes are there (3) 3. Residents of developed countries are MORE likely to experience allergies than people in developing areas of the world (T)
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 5/30/10 12:55 A
3-3 90-118 76% 67 %
1. On average, which mayonnaise based salad contains fewer calories ( coleslaw) 2. For a muscle to get stronger, It has to get bigger (F) 3. Related to exercise, what does the term “blood pooling” refer to ? (the collection of blood in the extremities) I guessed at this one)
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 5/29/10 12:41 A
3-4 87-115 76% 67%
1. Eating fat with each meal and snack is not a good nutrition strategy for type 2 diabetics (missed) 2. The following statement about sugar alcohols is false(they contain 1/8 the calories of sugar) 3. People who skip breakfast lose less weight then those who eat breakfast. 4.Iron is only found in red meat (F)
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 5/28/10 10:43 A
3-3 100% 84-111 76% 67% 1.Exercising will prevent cellulite (F) 2. Only liposuction can remove cellulite (F) 3. Best method for measuring your resting heart rate ( there were 4 answers and all were correct)
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 5/27/10 1:32 A
3-3 100% 81-108 75% 67%
1. Insulin resistance occurs in the early stages of type 2 diabetes. What does Insulin resistance mean? (The body’s cells don’t use insulin properly) 2. Walking provides enough inpact to strenghthen bones and decrease one’s risk of osteoporosis (T) 3. With each step you take, how much force do your knees and hips experience. ( 2-3 times your body weight)
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 5/26/10 10:44 A
3-4 75% 78-105 74% 67 1.missed common colds is exposure to virus 2.healthy person should get blood pressure checked each time they see doctor 3.which conventionally grown fruit tends to highest pesticide residue is peaches 4.if you don't exercise or active after eating a snack or meal the food you eat will turn into body fat is false
Fitness Minutes: (131,684) Posts: 62,929 5/25/10 2:08 P
3/4 75-101 74% missed one ounce of dark chocolate has same caffeine as 8 oz of coffee ( f) cooking in cast iron adds iron to food is true Got to get the skillet out. most likely to get high blood pressure is age is true diabetes leads to all kind of health problems
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkTeams, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.