This is from one of my favorite blogs and I'll post how it turned out! I plan to make it tomorrow...
Cherry, Banana & Oatmeal Bread
Makes 2 (8 1/2 X 4 1/2 -inch) loaves
1/2 cup toasted rolled oats (or old-fashioned oatmeal) 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 cup light brown sugar 2 large eggs plus 4 egg whites 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or low-fat vanilla soymilk) 2 tablespoons plain yogurt 2 tablespoons orange juice 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract zest of one orange 2 small very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup) 1 cup pitted, halved fresh cherries 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped 1/4 cup flax seed or ground flax meal
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (8 1/2 X 4 1/2 -inch) loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. To toast the oatmeal, place in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a medium size bowl, whisk the toasted oats, flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and eggs. Add buttermilk, yogurt, orange juice, and vanilla; beat until batter is smooth. Lower the speed; add the orange zest and bananas, and beat briefly (it's ok if the batter has a few lumps).
5. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, and mix until just incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the cherries, walnuts, and flax seed. The batter will be thick. Pour the batter into the pans. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the top is a deep golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Transfer the breads to a rack; let cool for 10 minutes, then unmold and place on a rack to cool to room temperature.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.