1 head garlic 3/4 tsp. olive oil (extra virgin or your choice)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
8 cups stewed tomatoes, including liquid
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried tyhme
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Remove loose, papery skin from garlic, leaving heads intact. Place garlic on a sheet of heav-duty foil; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
2. Loosley wrap foil around garlic, folding edges securely. Roast until garlic has softened, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate where it can cool.
3. Open foil carefully and discard. Separate garlic into cloves. Squeeze soft garlic from each clove into a small bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat allow remaining 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to heat. Add onion, celery and roasted garlic. Cover and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup water, 1 bay leaf, basil, oregano, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes, allowing time to blend flavors.
5. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until mostly smooth.
MAKES ABOUT 6 SERVINGS
PROTEIN 3 grams
FAT 2 grams
Carbs 23 grams
| Pounds lost: 0.0