looks yummy! I'm in search of soup recipes now.. I have the stuff to make this..maybe this weekend. And I have the perfect accompaniment (albeit not the healthiest!)..Frozen Butter Biscuits. If you google the title..it will give you a link to the post on Spark. I like to add extra garlic and shredded cheddar (sometimes a little chopped ham or cooked sausage0 and green onions for a little more substance. Great for cold weather! I can't wait to try this soup!
Go Buckeyes!! Go Steelers!! *Debbi* Original start weight 241 4/24/06 Ultimate goal: 130-150#
Joined Curves 10/15/07 239.5# 42.1% body fat See my blog for continuing progress!
current weight: 203.0
Fitness Minutes: (237,145) Posts: 10,567 3/25/08 6:34 A
OH LORD IF THAT DOESNOT SOUND FANTASTIC AND I DO BELIEVE I WILL BE FIXING IT REAL SOON TOO AS I HAVE STEWED TOMATOES IN THE PANTRY AND I HAVE FRESH GARLIC STILL FROM LAST SUMMER, OH YUM YUM THANKS FOR SHARING...
CAROL LOVE TO COOK TEAM LEADER DOGLOVERS TEAM LEADER DOXIE LOVERS CO TEAM LEADER
"THE DOG KENNEL IS NO PLACE TO KEEP A SAUSAGE" DANISH PROVERB
1 head garlic 3/4 tsp. olive oil (extra virgin or your choice) salt and freshly ground pepper 1 cup chopped onion 1 cup chopped celery 8 cups stewed tomatoes, including liquid 1 bay leaf 2 tsp. dried basil 1 tsp. dried oregano 1 tsp. dried tyhme
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Remove loose, papery skin from garlic, leaving heads intact. Place garlic on a sheet of heav-duty foil; drizzle with 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
2. Loosley wrap foil around garlic, folding edges securely. Roast until garlic has softened, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate where it can cool.
3. Open foil carefully and discard. Separate garlic into cloves. Squeeze soft garlic from each clove into a small bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat allow remaining 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to heat. Add onion, celery and roasted garlic. Cover and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup water, 1 bay leaf, basil, oregano, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes, allowing time to blend flavors.
5. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until mostly smooth.
MAKES ABOUT 6 SERVINGS
PER SERVING CALORIES 113 PROTEIN 3 grams FAT 2 grams Carbs 23 grams
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.