Week 1: Healthy Habits Challenge
Please join us as we develop healthy habits over the next 6 or more weeks. See the Kickoff Information post for all the details.
This week, that is by Sunday, June 3, please do all of the following:
1. Select a habit to change or develop. See the list in the Kickoff Information post or select a habit of your own. It may be a good idea to write this habit down in a significant place and repeat it at least once a day. BE SPECIFIC
For example, your habit might be: “By the end of this challenge, my established habit will be to drink 8 cups of water per day. I will track this on SP.”
2. Determine the ‘status’ of this habit in your life. How are you doing now? The task here is not to change anything, but just to be aware of your baseline.
For example, if your goal is to drink 8 cups of water per day, how many are you currently drinking? 4? 6? How do you know? Are you tracking your water intake on SP? If not, maybe you should You can track so much on SP. If you’re not, start today!
3. Brainstorm ways to improve/ develop this habit. This may take some work. Don’t underestimate the importance of this task. Take some time to think it through. This is the ‘how-to’ of developing a habit. It will take many ideas (some of which will work; others may not) to help develop this habit. Ask others how they developed the habit you wish to establish.
For example, perhaps you now know that you are currently, consistently drinking 6 cups of water per day. How are you going to get that amount up to 8 cups per day? What specific things can you do to establish the 8 cups of water per day habit? Perhaps you can drink a cup of water at specific times of the day: upon waking; at each meal and/or snack; in place of one daily cup of coffee, tea, or soda. Maybe you can increase the amount you drink; that is, drink what you usually drink, then take 3 more mouthfuls.
4. Create an action plan to improve/ develop this habit. This is the implementation phase of your plan! This is the DOING part!
For the water habit, maybe you can keep a pitcher of water at home and/or at work (in the refrigerator, if desired) and make that your own. That is, you only drink the water in that pitcher. Label it with your name so that others know not to drink from it. (Be sure they have their own pitcher of water, too!) Another way is to always carry water in a reusable bottle when you are out and about. Use the cup holders in your vehicle for water, not coffee or soda! Carry a small cooler to events. Stash a bottle of water in your purse or pocket. Use a shoulder sling or belt attachment to carry a bottle of water.
At the end of the day, add up the water from your pitcher, your bottles and other containers, and voila! You just drank 8 cups of water today. Congratulations.
Now post your how-to plans. That is, answer the following:
1. What habit are you changing or developing?
2. What is the status of this habit right now?
3. How are you going to change or develop this habit? Be specific!
4. Implement your action plan! What specific thing did you do today to bring you closer to this habit?
"You cannot accept another with a hateful heart. You cannot hear the other with a closed mind. You cannot embrace with closed arms. You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist."
--Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi
| current weight: 153.0