I was able to avoid cholesterol medication by following the following diet:
SHOW ME! Diet (A two week jump start to the DASH Plus program)*
1. Bread, cookies, chips, crackers, and any other bakery products.
2. Past, white rice
3. Flour, corn meal, cake mixes
4. Any cereals made with refined grains
5. Butter, margarine, lard, Crisco
6. Any foods containing partially hydrogenated oils
7. Meat (including chicken and turkey
9. Ice cream, whole milk, any dairy products except skim milk or fat free yogurt
10. Cheese (you can keep hard grating cheeses such as Parmesan or Romano)
11. Salad dressing and mayonnaise (except low-calorie versions)
12. Any prepared foods or frozen foods that contain the foods listed above or that have fewer than 3 grams of fiber per serving.
1. Long-cooking oatmeal: rolled, steel cut, Irish or Scottish style
2. Raisins or other dried fruits (optional)
3. Skim milk, fat free yoghurt, or the milk substitutes of your choice
4. Fresh fruits (optional)
For your Mix and Match Salads:
1. Salad greens such as romaine lettuce
2. Your choice of other salad vegetables: Whatever appeals to you and looks fresh in your produce department, including tomatoes, avocados, artichoke hearts (sold in jars), and red peppers.
3. Canned salmon (red sockeye taste best), canned tuna
4. Canned Beans, canned chickpeas
5. Nuts, peanuts, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, and other seeds
6. Grated or shredded hard cheese such as Parmesan or Romano
7. Mild vinegar such as rice wine vinegar and/or low-calorie dressing
8. Herbs, spices, and spice blend, such as Cajun spice blend, salad spice mix, or your personal favorites
1. Calorie-free beverages or your choice, such as water—plain, sparkling, or flavored (tap water is fine, too); tea, coffee, calorie-free iced tea
*From: The Healthy Heart Miracle-Your Roadmap to Lifelong Health by Gabe Mirkin, M.D. and Diana Mirkin, Harper Resource, C. 2004
"If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying." --Bob Dylan
"Obstacles are those things we see when we take our eyes off our goals."
"If we don't like where we are, change it! We are not trees."
"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity."
-- Louis Pasteur, Chemist and Microbiologist
"Exercise vigorously & stop eating crap." www.concept2.com chanetc.vox.com/
| current weight: 292.0