That's the only one of her books that I've read, and have to say, her Seven Guidelines to Eating resonate in my head every time I'm tempted to eat for emotional reasons. Here they are, along with some affirmations:
Geneen Roth's Eating Guidelines
1. Eat when you are hungry. (Truly hungry, body hungry not mind hungry)
2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
3.Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspaper, books, intense or anxiety producing conversation and music.
4. Eat only what your body wants. (Big difference from what your MIND wants!)
5. Eat until you are satisfied. (This is different than full).
6. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto and pleasure.
Affirmations for Compulsive Overeaters
1. My worth as a person is not diminished in any way by my body size or my eating patterns.
2. I will love myself no matter what my eating patterns are.
3. I will judge my days not by what or how much I eat, but by the accomplishments I have made and the love I have given.
4. My life is a gift, and I will not let my enjoyment of it be diminished by feeling guilty over my body size or how much I eat.
5. I am finished blaming others, situations, and myself for the way I eat. I will take action minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour, and day-by-day until I can eat normally again.
6. Compulsive overeating is a temporary condition in my life.
7. There is a normal eater within me. I will let her/him take over my life more and more each day as I am ready.
8. I can imagine a life without being a compulsive overeater.
9. When I feel stressed, I will close my eyes and picture how my all-powerful, normal eater would handle the situation.
10. I believe I will be a normal eater again. I know I will be a normal eater again!
type 1 diabetic,
showing this disease who's boss!
February 2013: NEW GOAL! I've lost 60 pounds to date, so it's time to kick these last few to the curb!
| Pounds lost: 4.4