Great question! Ideally, the ultimate sports bra wardrobe would have three bras in rotation—one on the body, one in the wash, and one hanging to dry.
In order to ensure your bras live a long, healthy life, we recommend the following:
1. Keep It Fresh: Wash a sports bra after every 1-3 wears to remove the build-up of sweat, dirt and bacteria which break down the fabric.
2. Keep It Safe: Hand washing is always the best option, but using a lingerie bag when placing it in the wash is also a good option. At the very least, fasten the hooks before throwing it in the washing machine.
3. Keep It Cool: Hang dry or tumble dry low, since dryers wear down the fabric and moisture-management properties.
4. Keep It Breathing: If it does get thrown in the dryer, never use dryer sheets or fabric softeners. They can coat the fabric and keep it from breathing.
5. Keep It New: Again, depending on how often you wear your sports bra, replace it every 6-12 months. If you have a lot of bras in your rotation, you may be closer to 12 months, but if you wear them frequently, your bras may need to be replaced closer to the 6-month mark.
We hope these suggestions help!
Fitness Minutes: (196,182) Posts: 6,912 8/12/12 10:41 A
That's a great question. If you have several bras and they don't get washed every week, how long should they last. I have 4 of one style of bra and 6 of another style. I switch off so I may not wear the same bra for two weeks. At what "age" do I replace?
"Good things come to those who believe. Better things come to those who wait. And the BEST things come to those who don't give up." - anonymous NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!
A couple things I'm curious about with the whole "no bra should celebrate a birthday" ...
Is 6-12 months based on owning only a single bra worn daily? Or is it based on a single sports bra worn a couple hours three days a week? Or is it based on owning 4-6 sports bras and trading off throughout the week (and needing to replace all of them)?
Also ... laundering. How often does a sports bra need laundering and are the recommendations any different? (I currently use normal Cacique bras without underwire, three of them, and they end up soaked after one workout. I hang them to let them dry, then wash all three at the laundromat once a week. Even in a lingerie bag they are cantankerous to deal with.)
Blue, Lethie, or Jennifer May - I answer to them all (aka Astraxialus in NaNoWriMo) San Jose, CA BLC#20 & BLC#21 - ONYX OUTLAW
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.