Welcome new members! Try canned beans!
Beans Have Powerfully Beneficial Antioxidants Posted By Dr. Mercola
Researchers tested the antioxidant activity of flavonoids found in the skin of 12 varieties of dry beans. Antioxidants are known to destroy free radicals and help prevent heart disease, cancer and aging.
Following the study, researchers found that black beans had the most antioxidants, followed by red, brown, yellow and white beans.
The darker the bean is the higher level of flavonoids it contains, and therefore a higher antioxidant activity.
from the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
Dr. Mercola's Comments:
I fully believe that the flavonoid antioxidants are one of the most exciting areas of nutritional research with supplements.
Flavonoids are natural chemicals found in plants, fruits and vegetables. They’re actually the largest group of several thousand compounds belonging to the antioxidant-rich polyphenol family. Flavonoids have many health-promoting properties. As written in The Antioxidant Miracle, flavonoids:
* Improve memory and concentration and are used to treat attention deficit disorder
* Are powerful free radical scavengers that can boost the effectiveness of vitamin C in the antioxidant network
* Regulate nitric oxide, a potent free radical that is a regulator of blood flow
* Keeps your heart healthy in three important ways: They prevent blood clots, protect against oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol, and lower high blood pressure
* Improve sexual function in men
* Reduce inflammation and bolster immune function
Flavonoids are present in most all vegetables, such as beans as stated in the above article, as well as fruits such as apples, grapes and blueberries.
Blueberries in particular have been rated #1 in antioxidant capacity by the USDA, and we carry delicious and convenient Wild Blueberry IQ Softgel Capsules in our store that are made from whole fresh blueberries -- and contain 40mg of potent disease fighting anthocyanins per capsule -- more than any other available supplement!
| current weight: 148.0