Author: Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:
FLEMIDG's Photo FLEMIDG Posts: 31,889
2/19/13 11:56 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Thanks for this information.

Darlene

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills. From whence commeth my help? My help commeth from the Lord who made heaven and earth. flemidg


 current weight: 211.0 
 
245
221.25
197.5
173.75
150
BONNYLEE22 SparkPoints: (7,194)
Fitness Minutes: (11,502)
Posts: 20
2/19/13 11:08 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Thanks for the warning!

JOANNHUNT's Photo JOANNHUNT SparkPoints: (50,694)
Fitness Minutes: (0)
Posts: 3,553
2/19/13 9:29 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP.

I WILL SUCCEED BECAUSE I KNOW I CAN DO IT AND I AM MOTIVATED.


 current weight: 541.0 
 
563
518.5
474
429.5
385
BEVIEG41's Photo BEVIEG41 SparkPoints: (38,198)
Fitness Minutes: (48,643)
Posts: 1,460
2/19/13 2:11 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Thanx for the information. I passed it on.


Bev rom Sacramento CA West Coast Time zone


Total SparkPoints: 38,198
 
30,000
32,499
34,999
37,499
39,999
SparkPoints Level 15
WHITNEYTEACHER's Photo WHITNEYTEACHER Posts: 4,142
2/19/13 8:39 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I just read this post on the "Seniors 60+ - Fit For Life" team page and thought it was worth passing along. Something that makes sense to me once I read it but that I hadn't thought of before - very dangerous:

A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but suddenly the water in the cup 'blew up' into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build-up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring.

He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc, (nothing metal).

General Electric's Response:

Thanks for contacting us; I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

Here is what a local high school science teacher had to say on the matter: 'Thanks for the microwave warning. I have seen this happen before. It is caused by a phenomenon known as super heating. It can occur any time water is heated and will particularly occur if the vessel that the water is heated in is new, or when heating a small amount of water (less than half a cup).

What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new, then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches inside it that provide a place for the bubbles to form. As the bubbles cannot form and release some of the heat that has built up, the liquid does not boil, and the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point.

What then usually happens is that the liquid is bumped or jarred, which is just enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot liquid. The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage spews when opened afterhaving been shaken.

If you pass this on, you could very well save someone from a lot of pain and suffering.

My name is Carolyn
(Whitney is my last name, I'm a retired high school biology teacher = WHITNEYTEACHER)

I moved to Grants Pass, a small town in Southern Oregon in January, 2014.




 Pounds lost: 5.2 
 
0
15.75
31.5
47.25
63
Page: 1 of (1)  

Report Innappropriate Post

Other Challenged by Arthritis General Team Discussion Forum Posts

Topics: Last Post:
Pain, meds and weght... 7/18/2014 8:56:32 PM
Has anyone had success by changing their diet? 10/9/2013 11:38:23 AM
A-Z........what are you thankful for? 7/22/2014 7:27:53 AM
Rosster Comb shots 7/19/2013 12:55:17 AM
knee 8/3/2013 12:33:56 PM

Thread URL: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x4663x52188728

Review our Community Guidelines