It is so true. I have a friend who is highly sensitive to scents. They can make her quite ill. She found a place that is designed for people with this problem. There's a shower & laundry room at one of the entrances. She makes her guests shower (with her products, which she tolerates). If they're staying for long, she launders their clothes. Otherwise, she has guest robes that they can change into after their shower.
Some people think it is overkill. Truth is, she gets quite ill if she doesn't do this, so those of us who know and respect her just smile and do what's needed so we can visit with her.
Julia Sonoran Desert Joyfully owned by two retired racing greyhounds. Happily vegetarian for over 40 years.
Inspired by Lily_Spark's story of the restaurant owner and wait staff's obtuse and passive-aggressive behaviour, I just want to stress that there are times when someone CHOOSES to eat a particular way, HOWEVER, there are other times when it's a matter of health, and sometimes even life and death.
While not food related, and not quite as life threatening (although it was certainly getting touchy), our son and his fiance recently visited. She, despite being told of my sensitivities to perfumed products, insisted on using HIGHLY scented hair products. Additionally, all the clothing they had with them had been inundated with some sort of scented fabric softener (dryer sheets and liquid). Taking allergy meds did not help, because the scent was still present (in the vehicle, especially, as we were taking her places to see the scenery).
While I'm aware that people adjust their menus and eliminate things such as gluten-containing products as a choice, sometimes - being intolerant is not a choice. My hubby has found out within the past few years that he's now allergic to white fish (we were finally able to see an allergist, so have confirmed). This makes going to a place that specializes in fish a definite problem, as it's quite likely that the cross contamination would be a reality. Now, this is definitely a life threatening problem - as the last time he had a reaction, his lips and face swelled up, and he could barely breathe. The doctor said it will get worse, not better, with subsequent exposures.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.