First, welcome to the team.
Second, ME TOO! I have always turned to food for comfort when I was stressed. I am reaching the end of my second year on SP, and although I haven't changed my weight significantly yet, I have made some pretty awesome changes to lifelong habits. The last 5 weeks of life and been very stressful for me with constant problems occurring, but when I reached a real low two nights ago and went for a long drive to think and escape my household for a while, I found something really interesting. Usually when I take those drives, I hit a drive through 2-3 times before I am done and come home. This time I didn't crave food, I didn't WANT food, I just wanted to drive and think. With the tools I have learned here I have changed an unhealthy choice into a new and healthy unconscious habit.
Here are some things I did to get to this place in my life when stress hits;
- I drink a glass of water with soluble fiber in it
- I tell myself I will wait 10min and see if I am still hungry, I mean the food isn't going to disappear, right?
- I go for a walk and tell myself, "just 10min and if I am hungry I will eat then". Of course I end of walking for 30min or more and usually don't want to eat anything once I am done.
- I get online and ask for help from one of my teams
- I get on Pinterest and start pinning - that will divert you!
- I work on a craft project
- I write in a journal. I tried this in various forms and found that for me, it's works best when I am down to get online and find something inspirational that pertains to my current troubles and I add it to my Healthy Inspirations Journal. I now have a journal that I can turn to anytime I need a life, feel down, stressed out, etc that reminds me what to focus on in life, what my goals really are and how far I have come to reach this point in life.
- lastly, If I find I still want to eat - fill up on healthier options. If you want something sweet, eat gherkins or bread and butter pickles or dates. If you want something salty eat green olives, if you crave something crunchy slice a cucumber or carrots and munch on them
- I was a drive-thru junkie and for a long time, I would want to hop in the car and hit the nearest drive thru for something. I took the time to find out the one or two things on each menu that I could have that were as healthy as possible. Even now when I get a in a time crunch and need to hit a drive thru, I can go guilt free because I know I am picking the best thing I can from the menu.
Eventually you will get to the point that you crave the healthy stuff and not the junk. Seriously!
“Do not let your fire go out spark by irreplaceable spark... Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real…. It is possible…. It’s yours. “
Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged) pinterest.com/creatv/
| current weight: 276.2