This is one of my personal favorites. I'm always playing around with the ingredients, and making it better still! What really makes this casserole amazing is the salsa, I make my own from scratch, and spread leftover cilantro on top of the casserole if I have any.
For an extra dose of whole grains, replace the crushed chips with quinoa, make your own salsa, and add in extra jalapenos and pineapple for a sweet and spicy kick! Or replace beans and corn with lean ground turkey for a meatier meal -- or replace the cheese with soy cheese for a vegan dish!
1/2 bag baked tortilla chips 2 cups shredded taco cheese 1 jar salsa 2 cans black beans 1 can corn
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together corn and black beans in a colander. Rinse with cold water.
2. Crush tortilla chips and form a thin layer on bottom of 9 X 13 casserole dish (you only want enough to cover the bottom).
3. Using mixed black beans and corn, cover tortilla chips with a thin layer. Spoon salsa on top, then cover with a thin layer of cheese. Carefully press down and into sides of casserole dish.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to form a second layer of all ingredients.
5. Cover casserole with aluminum foil (shiny side down). Bake for 40-45 minutes. DO NOT TURN OFF OVEN!
6. Remove foil and then back 5-10 more minutes (until cheese is golden-brown and bubbling). Serve immediately. *This casserole is even better the second/third time you eat it. Plan for leftovers!
Number of Servings: 12
Calories: 221.3 Total Fat: 6.8 g Cholesterol: 16.7 mg Sodium: 441.5 mg Total Carbs: 30.7 g Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g Protein: 10.7 g
Edited by: FRENCHIFAL at: 10/25/2011 (12:09)
Falon Madison, WI ~ Central
Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.