This is one of my personal favorites. I'm always playing around with the ingredients, and making it better still! What really makes this casserole amazing is the salsa, I make my own from scratch, and spread leftover cilantro on top of the casserole if I have any.
For an extra dose of whole grains, replace the crushed chips with quinoa, make your own salsa, and add in extra jalapenos and pineapple for a sweet and spicy kick! Or replace beans and corn with lean ground turkey for a meatier meal -- or replace the cheese with soy cheese for a vegan dish!
1/2 bag baked tortilla chips 2 cups shredded taco cheese 1 jar salsa 2 cans black beans 1 can corn
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together corn and black beans in a colander. Rinse with cold water.
2. Crush tortilla chips and form a thin layer on bottom of 9 X 13 casserole dish (you only want enough to cover the bottom).
3. Using mixed black beans and corn, cover tortilla chips with a thin layer. Spoon salsa on top, then cover with a thin layer of cheese. Carefully press down and into sides of casserole dish.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to form a second layer of all ingredients.
5. Cover casserole with aluminum foil (shiny side down). Bake for 40-45 minutes. DO NOT TURN OFF OVEN!
6. Remove foil and then back 5-10 more minutes (until cheese is golden-brown and bubbling). Serve immediately. *This casserole is even better the second/third time you eat it. Plan for leftovers!
Number of Servings: 12
Calories: 221.3 Total Fat: 6.8 g Cholesterol: 16.7 mg Sodium: 441.5 mg Total Carbs: 30.7 g Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g Protein: 10.7 g
Edited by: FRENCHIFAL at: 10/25/2011 (12:09)
Falon Madison, WI ~ Central
Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.