This was my favorite recipe from our upcoming hautemealz system menu. Growing up in the PNW, I eat a LOT of salmon and steelhead, but I'm usually pan roasting or grilling it. I've never really done much poaching.
Well, that's all changed! This was the moistness, most delicate salmon I've ever eaten, just amazing! Plus, it's crazy-simple to make!
The wontons were nice, but I could take them or leave them, the salmon didn't need anything extra to make it perfect! Pictures on the blog.
Poached Salmon on Citrus Salad 4 servings Active Time: 20 min Total Time: 20 min ________________________________________ o 1 lime o 6 naval oranges o salt & pepper, to taste o 1/4 cup olive oil o 1 teaspoon sugar o 2 Tbs olive oil o 6 wonton wrappers o 4 cups arugula or baby spinach o 4 - 4 oz salmon filets, 1in thick ________________________________________
1. Sprinkle salmon with salt & pepper. Cut wonton wrappers into 1/2-inch strips.
2. Finely shred 1 teaspoon of lime peel from lime; set aside. Juice lime and 2 oranges; reserve 1/4 cup for dressing. Pour remaining in large nonstick skillet with lime peel and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boiling; add salmon. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 8 to 12 minutes, until fish easily flakes with fork.
3. For dressing, whisk together reserved juice, olive oil, and sugar; season with salt and pepper.
4. In second large skillet, heat cooking oil over medium-high heat. Cook wontons, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often, until crisp.
5. Peel and section remaining oranges. Drizzle dressing on greens, oranges, and salmon. Serve with warm wontons.
Salmon is one of the healthiest fish available for consumption. It is high in protein, Vitamin D and Omega-3 fatty acids. The proteins within the salmon help to support muscle formation, and eating salmon is known to be very beneficial for cardiovascular health. The Omega-3 fatty acids help to lower cholesterol, prevent the hardening of the arteries.
Edited by: CHEFPERRYP at: 2/5/2012 (11:47)
Executive Chef at SimplySmartDinnerPlans
Menu Planners Spark Team: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_ individual.asp?gid=39781
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.