What I liked about Chapter 1 - just thought I would provide a summary of the chapter showing how the "spark" of Sparkpeople started.
1. I was curious how Sparks started so I was happy to find out all about Chris Downie' life and how he created Sparks.
2. I liked that as a shy and awkward child, he still strived to do well in school, play soccer. He overcame his fear of public speaking at college, and realized the importance of exercise.
3. I can relate to his tiring job at Proctor & Gamble because I also grabbed any old lunch and fell down on the couch exhausted and flipped the channels.
4. He was able to zero in on his goals of family, health, making money and doing something positive with it, made a vision collage of his goals.
5. He combined goal setting and motivation with fitness (where he got the idea of a streak)a consistent 10 mins of exercise each day, and positive self-talk. A big breakthrough was he realized he was responsible for his own actions.
6.This helped him on his job and motivated another staff member. Seeing her positive results in weight loss and career success thanks to his example was as breakthrough for him. He had found the "spark" of sharing and connection as that staff member would motivate others and so on. He recognized that the "weight gain, loss of energy, and loss of confidence" cycle could be broken and that is how came up with his Spark plan.
7. He struggled to build his Web business with his partners but his hard efforts were rewarded as he sold the business to E-Bay, became a millionaire and met his future wife, bought his mother a house.
8. He could have just lived off his millions but still had his Sparkpeople dream. He had achieved his goals and wanted to help others achieve theirs.
9. He refined his idea with the help of his wife, got the idea of babyfit.com when they had 2 kids, moved to California,and received funding(from someone also interested in health and believed in Sparks success) and was able to grow the Sparkpeople site and make it free for everyone. It is now the most active diet and fitness website in America.
10. Chris Downie is a real inspiration to us all. He was able to define his goals, create a vision of what he wanted and take the steps necessary to get there, self-motivating along the way. He knew he also needed the physical energy to keep going and the support of and connection with other people to get there. He is a great example of what Sparks is all about.
Edited by: ALLIEINSHAPE at: 2/1/2010 (01:01)
--Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul--
--The journey of discovery begins not with new vistas but with having new eyes with which to behold them--
--Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful -Wm. Morris--
keep it simple- eat REAL FOOD, whole fresh and organic!
GMO FOOD GUIDE: truefoodnow.org/shoppers-guide/
| Pounds lost: 27.0