Chicken Noodle Soup
If you need comfort food to get through the cold days ahead, try this classic soup. Make it in a slow cooker for an easy weeknight dish.
YIELDS: About 14 cups or 6 main-dish servings
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: About 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high
• 8 cups water
• 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
• 4 medium stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• Salt and ground black pepper
• 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds)
• 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked
1. In 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow-cooker bowl, combine water, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, 4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place whole chicken on top of vegetables. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high setting 4 to 5 hours.
2. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Add noodles to slow-cooker bowl; cover with lid and cook (on low or high) 20 minutes.
3. While noodles cook, remove and discard skin, fat, and bones from chicken; shred meat.
4.Skim fat from soup and discard. Return chicken to soup to serve.
(Based on individual serving)
Calories: 315 • Total Fat: 8 g • Saturated Fat: 2 g • Cholesterol: 112 mg • Sodium: 1,764 mg
Carbohydrates: 26 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 33 g
| current weight: 185.5