I recently discovered an e-book called:
Fat Burning Diet Made Easy by Jay Robb, Clinical nutritionist and bodybuilder...
Here is an explanation of how his carb cycling diet program works:
What is different about this program is that Jay combines low carb and high carb in the same day, but also has 2 dedicated high carb days as well.
His premise is that by limiting your intake of carbohydrate-rich foods (especially refined carbs) during the day, approximately 12 hours, your body will be allowed to radically burn fat approximately 50% of the time. At dinner, 7 days per week, you will consume a meal rich in complex carbohydrate along with a moderate amount of fat and protein. The consumption of carbohydrate in significant amounts will cause your body to produce insulin which, in turn, will temporarily stop you from burning fat. This is exactly what you want!... Because you have been burning fat and depleting your glycogen levels for approximately 12 - 18 hours, so now it is time to replenish your muscle and liver glycogen levels and also to utilize insulin's anabolic power to shuttle amino acids into your muscles to make them firm and strong. You are tearing down (burning fat) during the lower-carb phase and are (building up) during the higher-carb phase in the evening.
How meal on the program are structured:
LOW CARB DAYS
During the day on days: M-T-TH-F & SAT...alternating
2:1 and 3:1 carb cycling days
BREAKFAST & LUNCH:
- based on higher protein and fibrous carbs (... eating all you want of protein and non-starchy vegetables)
** For BREAKFAST: 1 - 2 cups of dairy included in Jay's SuperShake or Jay's Power Breakfast **
- eating all you want of protein (...but less protein than lunch), complex carbs & fibrous veggies and one serving of fruit and 1 - 2 cups of dairy.
** my take is that this will be trial and error... I am erring on the side of less complex carbs rather than more and will monitor my progress or lack thereof **
HIGH CARB DAYS
BREAKFAST & LUNCH: (WED. & SUN)
- Fruit: ** he recommends eating only simple fruits for Breakfast and Dinner... however, I will be modifying this by adding low fat cottage cheese or yogurt to the fruit.
- Mixed vegetable salad
- Complex Carbs (...rice, pasta, potatoes,etc.)
- Dairy (like yogurt to mix the fruit into)
... although he says not to count calories I will calculate how much these meals will be and plan menus ahead of time to save me from doing that because I still need to keep track of my macros and calories, this is the only way that I can tweak my program if necessary...
- take 1 -2 (500-mg) capsules of vitamin C with each meal... taking one upon waking up in the morning.
- Take 1 kelp tablet daily
- Eat plenty of vegetables, raw and cooked
- Consume at least one large raw salad daily
- Consume healthy fats (... avocados, olive oil, flax seed oil, cheese, nuts, seeds, etc.)
- Avoid refined carbohydrates
- Exercise at least 30 - 60 minutes, 3 X's per week (...minimum)
- Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime
- Make sure that you are getting enough vitamin D... this will help boost metabolism, purify your blood, increase fat burning, relax your system and boost your immune system
- Drink plenty or water daily, at least 6, 10- 8 oz glasses of water per day
1 cheat meal is allowed once a week on Saturday by consuming anything that you desire for 60 minutes... "ANYTHING"... as long as it is eaten within 60 minutes...
... next PART II... 10 BASIC RULES and Jay's Breakfast recipes
Edited by: JAZZID at: 11/28/2009 (14:40)
| Pounds lost: 0.8