From time to time I find some good articles in the weight watchers e-zine..I will share them with everyone in this place.
6 Healthy Food Switches for Weight-Loss Success
* Article By: Melanie Leyshon
Making a few small changes to your eating habits can add up to big weight-loss results. Discover the top six here.
There's no better time to embark on a weight-loss plan than the beginning of the year, when you're bursting with good intentions and still reeling from a surplus of festive food. But making good food substitutions rather than going to extremes will ensure your weight-loss results last beyond the first two weeks. So forget rigid, elimination diets; here are six ways to lose weight without feeling deprived.
Read the article below
* Drinking whole milk cappuccinos and lattes will use your daily POINTSÂ® Allowance up quickly. Use fat-free or low-fat milk instead, and look for flavored coffees or sugar-free syrups to improve that cup of java.
* Make smoothies by blending fat-free milk with low-fat or fat-free yogurt, a banana, frozen strawberries and honey to taste.
* Use low-fat milk when making mashed potatoes.
* Rice pudding is just as nice made with low-fat milk. Add flavor with cinnamon, and sprinkle the top with nutmeg.
* Instead of serving bread with soup, add a tablespoon of bulgar wheat or a 1/2 cup of brown rice to your homemade recipe.
* As a change-up from bread sandwiches, generously fill whole-wheat tortilla wraps with chunks of fresh-cooked chicken, coriander, lettuce and red pepper, adding a teaspoon of low-fat mayonnaise.
* Switch to sweet potatoes or yams. Cut up the sweet potatoes and roast in a hot oven for 30 minutes, sprinkled with sea salt and a little olive oil, or lightly boil and mash with a small amount of butter.
* Boil some couscous to fluff up and serve with grilled fish or meat.
* Dried fruits come into their own in the winter months and make excellent after-dinner desserts. Put dried apricots, prunes and pineapple chunks in a pan and cover with a little orange juice. Bring to a boil, then let stand for 20 minutes so the fruit can absorb the juices. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and serve with spoonful of low-fat yogurt.
* Poach peeled pears in a low-calorie fruity cordial with one cinnamon stick until tender. Serve with low-fat or fat-free yogurt.
* Get into the habit of buying low-fat varieties. Keep a tub of low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese on hand to mix in with fresh fruit or sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon for a sweet treat.
* Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of freshly grated Parmesan over your pasta, a little of its big-hitting flavor goes a long way.
Poultry and Meat
* Trim off fat before cooking.
* Always roast chicken on a rack in a roasting tin, so the saturated fat drains off.
* If you plan to marinate the meat, use lean strips of pork or beef.
* When making casseroles,cook them the day before, so as it cools you can skim any fat off the top before reheating.
| Pounds lost: 2.4