It was the first time I'd made it or had a version of it as well, but I liked it -- and it didn't stop me from modifying it originally either because I added a little more garlic and chives just because I knew I'd like them. And, I had some fresh parsley so I mixed it in as well instead of an either/or. I also crushed up a little more cornflakes because sometimes I make a mess and wanted to make sure I had enough to cover all the pieces well. :o\ (Note: I liked it better when I crushed the cornflakes more finely than just a quick crushing though.) Anyway, the recipe is listed below. Enjoy! (Let me know if what you think.)
Prep Time: 30 mins Freeze: 30 mins Bake: 35 mins
3 Tbsp reduced-calorie spread, softened
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives or parsley
1/8 tsp garlic powder
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (approx. 1 1/2 lbs)
2 Cups cornflakes, crushed (about 1 cup)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 c low-fat buttermilk or skim milk
1. Mix spread, chives and garlic powder; shape into 3x2-inch rectangle. Cover and freeze about 30 minutes or until firm.
2. Heat oven to 425°F. Spray square pan, 9x9x2 inches, with cooking spray. Flatten each chicken breast half to 1/4-inch thickness between sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper.
3. Cut chives mixture crosswise into 6 pieces. Place 1 piece on center of each chicken breast half. Fold long sides of chicken over chives mixture; fold up ends and secure with toothpick. (I modified this after the first time I made it. Instead, I flattened the butter mixture and spread it over the chicken breast -- made it MUCH easier to roll up the chicken, and I think it helped keep it more moist.)
4. Mix cereal, parsley and paprika. Dip chicken into buttermilk, then coat lightly and evenly with cereal mixture. Place chicken, seam sides down, in pan.
5. Bake uncovered about 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
Nutrition Information (based on 1 serving):
Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 55); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 160mg; Total Carbohydrate 9g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 27g Percent Daily Value (based on 2000 calorie diet): Vitamin A 22%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 2%; Iron 20%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 3 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not ready for Monday. :o\ lol
Edited by: OLOOPY at: 6/8/2008 (18:50)
"Be the change you wish to see..."
"If you fall seven times, get up eight..."
Don't promise me the sun, the moon, and the stars; promise me you will be under them with me...
| Pounds lost: 6.0