Team Leaders
Team Stream
Filter Stream:
Go

Team Stats
Total SparkPoints:
579,975
Total Fitness Minutes:
344,510
Apr 2014 SparkPoints:
16,650
Apr 2014 Minutes:
7,690
See Team Leaderboards
See Category Leaderboards


Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
 

team21344forum


  Team Forum
ALL ABOUT GOUT

A Guide to Posting in Your SparkTeam Forum

  FORUM:   General Team Discussion Forum
TOPIC:   Lead and Gout?!? 


Search
Reply Create A New Topic Subscribe to this Discussion
Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
Author: Message: Sorting Last Post on Top


JIBBIE49
JIBBIE49's Photo Posts: 54,356
12/11/12 5:03 P

JIBBIE49's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Interesting.


 current weight: 172.4 
 
214
191.5
169
146.5
124


RUSSELL_40
RUSSELL_40's Photo Posts: 16,265
11/26/12 11:28 A

RUSSELL_40's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Just another thing pointing to multiple reasons for gout. I think of gout like cancer, in that there isn't just one cause.

It has now been over 8 months with no attacks. I think mine was mostly diuretics, and cheating on my low carb diet. Some people have issues with cheese, or meats. I think a lot have issues with sugar, hence the fact that a lot of gout sufferers are diabetic.

Now lead. Basically gout seems to be caused by being unhealthy, or ingesting something unhealthy. How many people had gout because of lead pipes?

There needs to be a lot more research on gout.

"We can't solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them "

- Albert Einstein


 current weight: 180.8 
 
361
311.75
262.5
213.25
164


BOSS61
BOSS61's Photo SparkPoints: (13,638)
Fitness Minutes: (9,765)
Posts: 3,514
11/18/12 6:35 A

BOSS61's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I channel my Inner Woubbie a lot, consciously or otherwise. Without thinking about it, most if not all my food choices are made with at least some consideration of its likelihood to be a gout trigger for me. If that's not you, what is?

"Some day we will look back on this, and it will all seem funny" - Bruce Springsteen (The real BOSS, as opposed to me.)





 Pounds lost: 34.1 
 
0
30.75
61.5
92.25
123


WOUBBIE
WOUBBIE's Photo SparkPoints: (59,745)
Fitness Minutes: (16,061)
Posts: 4,175
11/14/12 9:22 A

WOUBBIE's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
First,

emoticon at channelling your "inner Woubbie"!

Second, wow! Really interesting:

"The researchers found that those participants with the highest blood lead levels...had a risk for gout that was 6.05-fold greater than those with lowest levels."

"...those persons with gout did not have higher levels of purines in their diet than those without gout."

It would sound like anyone diagnosed with gout should probably have their blood lead levels checked.

This statistic* has always bugged me: "Metabolic syndrome, a combination of abdominal obesity, hypertension, insulin resistance and abnormal lipid levels, occurs in nearly 75% of cases." But that leaves 25% of gout cases not associated with what are typically lifestyle factors.

Thanks, Boss, good info to know. If lead levels are high then gout is probably the LEAST of your worries - and your doctor might not think to test for lead otherwise!

*Based on info from Schlesinger, N (March 2010). "Diagnosing and treating gout: a review to aid primary care physicians". Postgrad Med 122 (2): 15761.



Edited by: WOUBBIE at: 11/14/2012 (09:40)
Pray for Ukraine... Slava Ukraina!


 current weight: 198.0 
 
232
217
202
187
172


BOSS61
BOSS61's Photo SparkPoints: (13,638)
Fitness Minutes: (9,765)
Posts: 3,514
11/13/12 3:56 P

BOSS61's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Channeling my inner Woubbie...

www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/article_con
tent.asp?edition=1§ion=3&article=380


"Some day we will look back on this, and it will all seem funny" - Bruce Springsteen (The real BOSS, as opposed to me.)





 Pounds lost: 34.1 
 
0
30.75
61.5
92.25
123


 
Page: 1 of (1)  
   
Report Innappropriate Post

Other ALL ABOUT GOUT General Team Discussion Forum Posts


Thread URL: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x21344x50814053

Review our Community Guidelines