Author: Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:
SARAHFATIH's Photo SARAHFATIH SparkPoints: (46,314)
Fitness Minutes: (24,426)
Posts: 1,667
2/16/09 7:35 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I recently changed the batteries in my CO detector as well, since it was making the "my battery is low and I'm going to annoy you until you change it" beep. But I'll take the occasioanl annoyance over a tragedy any day.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-- Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Insist on yourself. Never imitate."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson


 current weight: 180.0 
 
195
186.25
177.5
168.75
160
15THC_ODETTE's Photo 15THC_ODETTE Posts: 2,177
2/15/09 1:57 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
My CO alarm kept alerting, so I moved the alarm outside to clear it and brought back in and it kept making noise. I wasn't waking up and hauling out all 3 kids into the cold because it wasn't going off, per se, it was just making a loud annoying intermittent beeping, besides the secondary CO detector was still ok--aka the 9 lb geriatric cat was acting normally (we don't have a canary).

I called my husband at work to discern if it was a battery alert, a malfunction or something else, and he said if it were the battery alert, the alarm took a 9-volt and we were out. He said don't worry, but the alert kept coming closer and closer together. I use tweezers to pop open the back and it took 3 AAs and we have a whole case of those. I replaced the batteries and it stopped making the noise.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother to call him for advice, when I am obviously more mechanically inclined than he is.

So change your batteries regularly just like you do the smoke detectors, so you don't have to rely on the alarm annoying you in the middle of the night to replace the batteries.





 current weight: 245.3 
 
252
220.25
188.5
156.75
125
SARAHFATIH's Photo SARAHFATIH SparkPoints: (46,314)
Fitness Minutes: (24,426)
Posts: 1,667
2/9/09 9:10 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Thanks for chiming in on this important issue. We so often hear about these types of preventable tragedies, but fail the recognize that it is not something that can happen to someone else. As soon as we moved into our new house, I made sure we had a carbon monoxide detector on every level. You can never be too careful.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-- Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Insist on yourself. Never imitate."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson


 current weight: 180.0 
 
195
186.25
177.5
168.75
160
ENUFF81020's Photo ENUFF81020 SparkPoints: (223,103)
Fitness Minutes: (221,256)
Posts: 10,642
2/9/09 3:50 A

Community Team Member

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I have a friend who had the "flu" for a few days and stayed home from work along with her husband and (adult) son who also had it. Had her daughter not tried to come home and visit with no success and notified the police, all three of them would have perished. Her husband had to be heliported to a tertiary care center where he stayed for 2 weeks, she was in the hospital for several days, her son was treated in the ER. It turned out to be carbon monoxide from their hot water heating system. This is such a real scare--thanks for such a timely warning.

I think part of the story that my friend may never get over is how all of the local news sources referred to them as an elderly couple. She was getting ready to retire, but I don't think that she considered herself as "elderly." Actually, she was giving thanks that her toddler grandson was not with them at this time, like he often was.

Peace, Sylvia
Mother of Eight,
National Board Certified Teacher.
Reading Recovery Teacher,
Reading Specialist, and Member of Church of Peace, UCC

"We love because He first loved us."


 current weight: 157.2 
 
362
305.25
248.5
191.75
135
SARAHFATIH's Photo SARAHFATIH SparkPoints: (46,314)
Fitness Minutes: (24,426)
Posts: 1,667
1/26/09 8:08 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I am hoping that the reason we were spared was so that we could warn others. It is amazing how we don't think about these things until tragedy strikes. This tragedy was a little too close for comfort.

Have a great day everyone!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-- Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Insist on yourself. Never imitate."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson


 current weight: 180.0 
 
195
186.25
177.5
168.75
160
RAINDROPS8's Photo RAINDROPS8 SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (15,260)
Posts: 1,977
1/23/09 7:29 P

My SparkPage
Reply
thanks, i am so happy your family was able to tell the story, and perhaps help others...


When I consider the virtue of abusive words,
I find the scandal-monger is my good teacher. If we do not become angry at gossip, We have no need for powerful endurance and compassion. To be mature in Zen is to be
mature in expression,
And full-moon brilliance of dhyana and prajna
Does not stagnate in emptiness. Not only can I take hold of complete
enlightenment by myself, But all Buddha-bodies, like sands of the Ganges, Can become awakened in exactly the the some way
LATVIAN_SANDY's Photo LATVIAN_SANDY SparkPoints: (150,742)
Fitness Minutes: (56,085)
Posts: 4,388
1/23/09 10:28 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Thank you for the reminder!!! We have a detector, but thank goodness, have never had an issue. Thank God you had a detector and saved your family!

Sveiki!
Central time zone
SARAHFATIH's Photo SARAHFATIH SparkPoints: (46,314)
Fitness Minutes: (24,426)
Posts: 1,667
1/23/09 7:40 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Since the cold is hitting most of the country, I wanted to remind everyone to check that their carbon monoxide detector is working properly and if you don't have one to get one.

In Nov. 2006, I returned home from my night class. My husband was home with our then 16 month old son. I was surprised to see him, since he was to return later than me (our son was supposed to be with the sitter). He welcomed me home then told me what happened. Our carbon monoxide detector on the second floor went off while our sitter was there. Luckily, she was friends with most the volunteer firefighters. She called for them to check it out. She took my son outside and waited. The firefighters found that the level of carbon monoxide in the basement was extremely high. They estimated that within two to three days, my son would have succumbed to the fumes. If we had turned on the heat, he would have perished within 24 hours. Apparently our furnace was the culprit.

Please remember that carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector but have been getting headaches that come on when you are only in a certain location (i.e. your home) or you start to feel light-headed, get it checked out. I strongly encourage all of you to make sure you have this inexpensive, but life-saving device. I don't know what I would have done if we had lost our now 3 1/2 year old son.


"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-- Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Insist on yourself. Never imitate."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson


 current weight: 180.0 
 
195
186.25
177.5
168.75
160
Page: 1 of (1)  

Report Innappropriate Post

Other THE SURVIVORS - SP Class of May 11-17, 2008 General Team Discussion Forum Posts

Topics: Last Post:
New Year To Come 12/13/2013 12:21:36 PM
What is your favorite part of spring 9/8/2013 10:35:43 PM

Thread URL: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x20399x22169452

Review our Community Guidelines