I've had a hard time processing it, so I'll summarize:
1. I got to the point where I could even ATTEMPT a half marathon. A year ago, I do believe 4.5 miles was the longest I had ever run, and I thought THAT was hard.
2. I finished, running across the finish line, and not walking or crawling
3. I KNOW I pushed myself hard because I am still feeling the effects strongly today.
4. My family and friends were there to support me along the way
1. It was HOT. They put a heat advisory on the race website, and advised walking and staying adequately hydrated. I HATE running in the heat, and it was bad. Really bad.
2. Lost my running partner between 3 and 4, which is WAY earlier than when we normally part ways. Lost my steam around 6, and at mile 8 had to stop at the water stations instead of running through as I normally do. By mile 10, I was walking to drink my water and gatorade at the stops, then walking another half minute or so til I started up again. Honestly at that point, I was running just to get to the next station. Stopped to walk twice outside of the water stations, for maybe a minute both times.
My goal was to come in at 2:15, and normally I run under a 10 minute mile, even longer distances with tougher hills, so that seemed reasonable. At the 6 mile point, I was at 58:04, so was keeping on track. I just feel like I fell apart after that. And I feel like a failure for having WALKED not only during the water stations, but outside of them. My overall time was 2:24:44, which put me at a 11:03 mile, and I know that isn't shabby at all for a first half marathon, and my longest run ever. BUT! I'm always just a few minutes behind my partner, then our other friend comes in a few minutes behind me. Both came in before me this time, and I think what I'm struggling with is: Had I been consistent at 11:03, fine. I have been VERY consistent in the past (even during the hilly 10 miler). But I held a 10 minute mile, then FELL APART!!!! At mile 10, I was at 1:45, so 3 miles in 30 minutes and I would have hit my goal of 2:15. Should have been a piece of cake. But it took me 44 minutes those last 3.23 miles on account of walking and water stops. Bah.
I dunno. I'm just having a really hard time processing it right now. Yes, it was hot. Yes, it was the longest run, but my gauge-my running partner and our other friend-did just as well as they always do, and how I always do! Just not sure what happened. I did say I will NEVER run that far again. But I might need to just to see if I really suck that bad at distance running (why such a huge difference between 10 miles and 13.23??) or the heat really had that much affect on me.....or maybe it was just a plain old "off" day for me.
"Strong is the new Skinny"
CW: 150.4 :( Oops
| current weight: 157.0