I am sure you will be happier with the new mattress top. Leaks are a real pain. We had to put our motorhome in storage in the humid, rainy east coast for a few months. We weren't able to check on the unit for awhile and when we did we had mushrooms growing out of the floor!!!
Apparently the leak had been long term but we never discovered water. We had to replace the flooring. This was by the drivers seat. As we started to do this we found dry rot. A simple job turned into a major one. The carpet had to go and we put down a wood floor. We discovered the leak was from the windshield. We discovered this only by checking way up under the gas/break pedals as that is where it was coming in at. Water travels in strange paths.
I sure hope you remain dry!
Live like no one else, so later you can LIVE like no one else. Dave Ramsey
I ended up buying a new pillow top for the Select Comfort Mattress. It is all spread out in various spots in our family room. Too much rain predicted to assemble it in the motor home yet. After every shower DH goes to the storage yard to check for any new leaks.
Ann in San Diego
current weight: 0.0 under
Fitness Minutes: (2,149) Posts: 110 1/11/13 9:31 P
I've never heard of the alcohol solution, but I have used a bleach solution to get rid of mold and the odors that go with it. I have also used Fabreze with great success in getting rid of unwanted odors. The other thing is possibly a vinegar solution, but I agree about the sunlight being the best at removing the odor. Good luck and let us know what works for you.
Pounds lost: 26.4
Fitness Minutes: (61,483) Posts: 17,237 12/22/12 6:52 P
Ann - try the following. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure. I have also heard of a light bleach solution instead of alcohol. Good Luck!
1 Mix 1 cup of rubbing alcohol with 1 cup of warm water in a bowl. Dip a cloth into the solution, and squeeze out the excess liquid. 2 Scrub the mildew stains with the wet cloth in a circular motion. 3 Rinse the areas with a sponge dampened in water once the stains are removed. 4 Dry the mattress outside in direct sunlight for several hours; otherwise, use fans to dry the mattress completely. Sunlight helps to remove odors in the mattress. 5 Spray a disinfectant evenly over the entire mattress to kill any remaining spores. Do not saturate the mattress in disinfectant spray. Allow the mattress to dry completely before replacing the bedding.
Sharon - my home is in Zeeland, MI Spends winters as Snowbirds
Team Leader/RV Enthusiasts http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_ individual.asp?gid=17686
When we were having showers our motor home air conditioner leaked water on the bed. I've washed the linen and blanket with no problem, but some of the wet got on the pillow top mattress of our Select Comfort Mattress that is 12 years old. I've written to Select Comfort to see if the pillow top that unzips from the rest of the mattress is washable or dry cleanable. They say no. But I could purchase a new topper for $700.00 plus. They did say I could spot wet it in the tub with Ivory or some other soft soap and then hang/lay out to dry. I'm not even sure if that would rid the smell.
There is no big stain, just some dots of stain. We have had it on the table in our family room drying out for over a week. It is not wet but when I walk in the family room I can smell mildew. Not real bad but it is noticeable. I'm wondering if I just put a couple sheets of Bounce in the area where the stain is on the pillow top and then put the mattress cover over that if the smell might not be noticeable.
Any body have any other suggestions? It is queen size so not easy to handle.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.