My daughter says she uses bleach to get rid of mildew. Isn't there a very lightly or no scented Fabreeze? I thought there was. I like the lavender scent so I don't really know what else there is available.
I found this on the internet:
Couches and Mattresses
Couches and mattresses can be notoriously stubborn when it comes to mildew smells. If you're really bent on using them instead of buying a new one, what you can do is have them sun-dried for a whole week. Use a carpet beater to get out as much of the dirt as you can
Next, try using Fabreeze Anti-Mildew, OxyClean or bleach and then rub them on the upholstery using a dryer sheet. Enzyme cleaning products can also help. However, keep in mind that if the mildew has seeped into the mattress or couches completely, there's nothing much you can do about it but to re-upholster. Mildew and mold can be toxic when inhaled, so finding alternatives for couches such as blankets and big pillows, or mattresses will probably be the best.
Getting rid of mildew may prove a bit difficult, but not impossible. When the homemade solutions don't work, there are many commercial products that specifically target mildew and mildew smell. Getting rid of mildew smell won't just leave your house smell cleaner, but it will be good for your health as well. Good luck. If you enjoyed this article might as well read how to get rid mildew.
When we were having showers our motor home air conditioner leaked water on the bed. I've washed the linen and blanket with no problem, but some of the wet got on the pillow top mattress of our Select Comfort Mattress that is 12 years old. I've written to Select Comfort to see if the pillow top that unzips from the rest of the mattress is washable or dry cleanable. They say no. But I could purchase a new topper for $700.00 plus. They did say I could spot wet it in the tub with Ivory or some other soft soap and then hang/lay out to dry. I'm not even sure if that would rid the smell.
There is no big stain, just some dots of stain. We have had it on the table in our family room drying out for over a week. It is not wet but when I walk in the family room I can smell mildew. Not real bad but it is noticeable. I'm wondering if I just put a couple sheets of Bounce in the area where the stain is on the pillow top and then put the mattress cover over that if the smell might not be noticeable.
Any body have any other suggestions? It is queen size so not easy to handle. I really don't want to use something like Fabreze that is really a strong smell but then I've never used it so maybe not all the 'flavors' are strong Not a perfumy person.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.