Do you blog? At it's simplest a blog is basically an online journal. Until I started on Sparkpeople I had never blogged before. Now I do it almost every day.
I read a lot of blogs and find them to be one of the most important tools in my weight loss efforts. I have found a lot of good information, inspiration, and motivation from them but I have also encountered a lot of really bad blogs.
Here are some of my tips for writing a good blog. I don't always achieve them but usually try.
1. Keep your blog lay out simple and clean. Use paragraphs and normal fonts. Pictures, videos, urls, and emoticons are a nice addition but using too many is distracting.
2. Organize your thoughts and stay on topic. Don't repeat yourself. There is nothing worse than reading an incoherent, rambling blog.
3. Know what you are talking about. Personally I never talk about math or financial investments. I don't know diddly about either and feel no need to prove to you that I'm ignorant in this regard.
4. Edit your post. Proof read and use spell check. And, please, use punctuation. Don't use all capital letters. And refrain from too much slang.
5. Have a catchy title. Do you find yourself wanting to read a blog entitled "My Thoughts on Depression". Enough said.
6. Write about something interesting and unique. Avoid getting into the habit of writing about every single things that happened that day, "I got up, I peed, I showered, I combed my hair, I brushed my teeth, I dressed..........." Didn't we all.
7. Keep it to an acceptable length. If it's long it better be interesting and there is a limit to how interesting anyone is. 250 words is enough.
8. Blogging is not text messaging. Once a day is usually enough unless you have something really important to add that can't wait until tomorrow. "I went shopping at Wal-Mart" is not important.
I'm sure you have more tips and I your challenge today is to share them with us in this post and to write a blog. Use these tips and your own to make it a good one.
-American consumers have no problem with carcinogens, but they will not purchase any product, including floor wax, that has fat in it. - Dave Barry
-My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four; unless there are three other people. - Orson Welles
-The food here is terrible, and the portions are too small. - Woody Allen
Co-Leader "Smart Carbing"
Co-Leader "Low Carb For Dummies"
Co-Leader "South Beach Diet"
|207 Days since: sitting on my butt for long periods of time