I am posting this to share what I've learned about these two devices and systems. I used BodyBugg with the digital display March 2010 - Feb 2011. I then switched to BodyMedia FIT SP (using this with my Droid X).
I read what I could find on BodyBugg in 2010, and then researched the differences between the two extensively before making the switch in 2011, and so thought others considering one system or the other would appreciate hearing what I've noticed.
Overall, I would recommend Bodymedia over BodyBugg, hands down.
- ACTIVITY TRACKING. More detailed and informative activity tracking. Bodymedia differentiates between moderate and vigorous activity, BodyBugg does not. While I spend some time at the gym (elliptical is my favorite), I am also a cyclist. I have noticed many others comment that these devices don't handle cycling well (they measure arm movement, not legs). I just "deal with that" and laugh then my steps taken comes in way low after a long circuit out on the road .
- NUTRITION. Better nutrition tracking. Bodymedia tracks more nutrients -- IMPORTANT things, like sugars, fiber, and more vitamins and minerals, which can help greatly if you are really trying to get healthier, beyond losing pounds!
- SLEEP. Sleep tracking. Bodymedia offers this, BodyBugg does not. Though the data sometimes seem a little off, this has DEFINITELY raised my consciousness and challenges me to get to bed earlier. AND to not sack out on the couch 8-) They now say that sleep quality and quantity has measurable effects on weight loss!!
- REPORTING. BodyBugg lets you view your data on screen, in a graphical format, but this is not so useful if you want to share this with a trainer or doctor. Bodymedia has an easy Export button that spits out data in an Excel file.
- COACHING. This is the one thing where BodyBugg does better. 24 Hour Fitness sells the BodyBugg, and they give you a free start-up phone coaching session. I liked it enough that I paid for some additional coaching, which I used as a once a month check-in. Bodymedia has no such service.
Edited by: CONIFERA at: 4/22/2012 (23:35)
"Do not be afraid to go out on a limb ... That's where the fruit is."--Anonymous
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.