The hospital I work in has a "Food Drive" during November and donates the food to Second Harvest which then distributes the food to those in need. It becomes a competition between the nursing units to see who can collect the most food. It's a great thing.
We don't have a "food bank" as you call it here in Australia
I always donate to the Salvation Army who in turn look after the less advantaged in our community and when I have too much from my gardens I donate to our Meals On Wheels, that delivers one hot meal a day to old and infirm who cannot move out of their houses.
Peace and long life - Jules
Team Leader Rescued/Adopted Dog and Cat Lover's Team
At our church food pantry, we give out food once a month. There are other food pantries in the area at different times, so there is always a place to go and get food if needed. I love giving to our food pantry. When people ask me why, I have to explain that when I was going up, we did not have much and so the food pantry helped us out a lot. My Mom, now retired, works at the food pantry in my hometown in IL. I don't get to work at the pantry at our church, I am usually busy, I do donate as much as possible.
I look for things at the store that are on sale and are things the food pantry could use. We have a list in the bulliten at church of times that they need for the next month. So, I watch the ads and buy for the food pantry. I would say, that 95% of everything I buy is on sale, the other 5% is protein items (tuna, chicken, ham, ect.). I always said, when I was younger, if I could afford it, I would buy for the food pantry, so now I do. I just love doing that!! It is sooooooo much fun and feels so good. It does not matter if you can only afford 1 item or 100, it still feels great!!!
I also know people who have to go to the food pantry and are not able to donate now, because of their situation. I just remind them, that there will be a day, that they can "pay back" the food pantry for all the help they got and will be helping someone else who is in need then. :)
Ok, so, now you know that I love helping the food pantry. I buy things on sale, so I can get more items for the same cost. Ours will even take fresh produce that morning. So if you have too many tomatoes, zuchinne, squash, green bean, ect, you can bring them in and they will pass them out too!
Well, I have talked long enough, so I better shut up now!!
Good Morning All !!!! Gosh, yesterday I volunteered at out local food bank. In 2 hours we had 16 families come in. We usually have 5 or 6 !!! I do wish things would get better for everyone. Do Donate to your local Food Banks...All the food is from food or money donations. Now that it's getting colder, Soup, Stew, canned pasta, sloppy joe (manwich) etc. would be so helpful. I challenge you all to donate...It WILL Feel Good !!!!
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.