Yeah, beneficial nematodes are predators of the grubs, but they won't attack you or your pets. Milky spore is a microorganism that has the same useful boundaries. Another to consider (depending on the type of grubs) is BT, a bacterium that only attacks insects in their larval/grub stage. If you can take an example in a baggie to your local extension agent or master gardener (my master gardeners have taken up residence at the farm markets, so they're really easy to get to) they can identify it for sure and tell you which biological control will work.
Keep in mind the biological controls work kinda slowly (especially if you're used to the speed with which Sevin kills anything and everything in its path) because the nematodes/ milky spore/ BT eat a few and multiply in them and it takes a while for the predatory population to get large enough to really control the grubs. In the meantime, you can crush the grubs by tossing them in the street. You can let them die of dehydration by tossing them in the middle of a paved area (say, the black top of your driveway - some will survive long enough to crawl off, though, and then you'll be preferentially breeding the strongest ones). You can also dump them somewhere that the birds will get them. The bigger they are, the more delicious calories and protein they provide for the birds. My neighbors used to have chickens and when I threw grubs over the fence to them, they all came running.
He drew a circle that shut me out-- Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But Love and I had the wit to win: We drew a circle that took him in! -Edwin Markham
current weight: 3.0 over
Fitness Minutes: (50,652) Posts: 4,487 4/3/11 10:57 P
I''m still very new at this gardening thing but I was digging in the soil getting ready to put some seeds and plants in the ground when I found some small fat worms. Identified them as grub and have looked at sites on how to get rid of but want to make sure I'm using something non-toxic to our soon to be food supply.
I found this on eHow: "Kill the mature grubs the following spring. Mix Heterorhabditis nematode paste with water and pour the mixture into a sprayer. Spray the garden area with the mixture as directed on the package."
Is this stuff ok? Any suggestions on what to use that's safe and healthy? TIA for any tips!
Brandyn--San Antonio, Tx
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?” A. A. Milne
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.