Lazria - I read in the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) that you should space your iron and calcium pills, not sure if you were taking them together, but wanted you to know.
BTW, the article states that in one study of women on VERY LOW calorie diets, obese women lost more weight when given iron: researchers say because recovery of the thyroid hormone levels may have maintained metabolic rates to allow the greater loss [not a significant amount])!!!
Supplements and Food which INCREASE absorption of iron when taken together:
2. L-cysteine (amino acid)
3. Vitamin C
4. Cysteine-containing proteins (animal muscle tissue)
Drugs/supplements that decrease absorption of iron when taken together:
1. Calcium carbonate
2. Acid pump inhibitors
3. H2 Blockers
4. Tetracylines (reduces absorption of both)
5. Penicillamine (reduces absorption of both)
8. Antacids (aluminum or magnesium)
10. Inositol Hexaphosphate (cereal grains, legumes, and seeds high in oil)
Foods that decrease absorption of iron:
1. Oxalic acids (spinach, sweet potatoes, rhubarb and beans)
2. Phytic acids (unleavened bread, raw beans, seeds, nuts and grains and soy isolates) Iron fortified cereals are generally poorly assimilated.
3. Tannins (found in tea, coffee, walnuts)
TMI? Sorry! KNOW THIS though: too much iron or too little (of all vitamins/nutrients) can cause cancer, so talk to your doctor about what's best for you! Iron is necessary for clear thinking/brain development and immune function, synthesizing collagen, and synthesizing serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine (helps depression)!
If your kid's not doing well in school (math's a good class to check - I've always been poor at math and I think I've always been anemic), check their iron (full iron panel, not just hemoglobin. And if the hemoglobin is low, but within range, that's still a sign -- I'm proof of this!).
I'm not a chemist, I'm a typist and an anemic celiac! I've lived and I'm learning. . .
KNOWLEDGE = POWER. BODY = TEMPLE. FOOD = MEDICINE. PREVENTION IS THE CURE. YOU ARE WHAT YOU ABSORB!
One person's food is another person's poison.
Celiac Disease: An autoimmune reaction from eating gluten grains: wheat, rye, barley and contaminated oats=nutrient deficiency=cancer. Have 1 of 300 symptoms? bit.ly/cdsymptoms
CD stories: bit.ly/cdstories
|2,666 Days since: gluten