No allergies here, but one year I broke out in hives and thought it might be the tree. I think you can get a reaction from the sap. Turns out it was stress because at the same time we were trying to buy a house. Since then we've had real trees and have had no problems.
My tree is up for about a month each year then is placed in a plastic container. It doesn't get a lot of dust, but I guess I could wash it. I expect it wasn't really made to be washed, though, and may not tolerate it as well as you might imagine.
Haven't had a real tree, but they don't bother me either.
Asthmatics may have a problem with dust from trees, but if you aren't moving it about, it probably isn't going to be as big a problem, especially if you don't smoke or have wood fires in your home.
Not going to wash tree or ornaments. Just doesn't make sense. Ornaments would not survive and tree would really get that "worn tree" look like well washed denims.
Call me WG A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. Oscar Wilde
You will never "find" time for anything. If you want time, you must make it. Charles Bruxton
Pounds lost: 12.2
Fitness Minutes: (15) Posts: 3,031 12/8/11 1:46 P
great tips! I am chuckling at the thought of washing my artificial tree or decorations outside -- the weather up here in Minnesota is a bit on the cold side. My hot, soapy water will be indoors. Luckily, our cold weather has killed a lot of the spores that were hitched to live trees. However, no telling what might decide to sprout once the tree warms up.
There's nothing quite like the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree. That is, unless it makes your nose run and your eyes turn red. For many allergy sufferers, real trees are a source of discomfort during the holidays, even if the tree itself isn't to blame.
That's right. Very few people actually have an allergy to the tree itself, according to the American Academy of Asthma and Immunology. For some people, the tree's piny fragrance may be irritating, but in most cases the offending allergens probably hitched a ride on the tree.
Trees spend years gathering pollen, dust and mold spores while standing vigil on tree farms and in the forests. When you chop one down and take it home, you drag those allergens into your house.
The Academy recommends letting real trees dry in a garage or enclosed porch for a week and giving them a good shake before bringing them inside.
Another option: If you sneeze or wheeze around Christmas trees but still want one, get someone else to set it up and decorate it in a room that you don't frequent. Or set it up on a porch or in the yard.
Unfortunately, the problem isn't just related to real trees. Where and how you store an artificial tree--and other holiday trimmings--can exacerbate allergies, too. That's because these items also collect dust and grow mold spores.
Wash and dust decorations and artificial trees outside before decorating. To remove dust and mold from festive fabrics, wash them in hot, soapy water.
Taking these simple steps can help you enjoy the season--Your sinuses will be jollier for it.
Living a Healthy and Active Life style, Reach my Goal and very Happy with my Body,my eating habits,Fresh Fruits, Lot's of Green vegetables,drink 8 To 10 glasses of water daily.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.