WINETART, in fact I saw the article on the magazine and got the link so I could post. But here go the tips…
1. DRINK TAP WATER – Bottled water not only costs a thousand times more than tap, but it takes almost three liters of water to produce one liter bottled water.
2. LEAVE TO NATURE – The largest share of residential water usage – by far – goes to watering our lawns. So what’s the easiest way of cutting water consumption? Buy a rain sensor and let nature do its job. This can cut your watering needs up to 30 percent.
3. BE CREATIVE – Xeriscaping is a term that means planting native species that don’t require additional watering. By doing so , you can save up to 75 percent of the water you would typically use for watering your lawn and garden.
4. MEASURE CORRECTLY – About a third of our country’s drinking water is used to brew coffee, and a lot of that goes to waste when we pour out what’s left in the pot. If every household measured more accurately and saved just a cup of water each time, America would conserve about 7 million gallons of water a day. We would also save the 259 million gallons that would have been used to grow the wasted coffee beans.
5. Wash Smartly – Buy front loading washing machines. They use 40 to 60 percent less water than traditional top loading ones. When it comes to the dishwasher, don’t pre-rinse, and use the machine only when it’s full. This can save you 7,300 gallons of water a year, or, put another way, as much as a person typically drinks is his lifetime.
6. SACRIFICE A LITTLE – It takes about 17 times as much water to produce beef than vegetables. Swap one serving of meat a week and you can save more than 450 gallons of water.
7. DRIVE THROUGH – A commercial car wash uses nearly 100 gallons less per wash than had washing. And the facilities often recycle the water they use.
8. TAKE UP SPACE – Put a brick in your toilet tank to reduce the amount of water used per flush by around one gallon.
9. EAT RIGHT – Buy more whole foods such as vegetables, rice and potatoes. Processed foods and drinks (Chips, pre made meals, soft drinks) take a lot more water to produce than those that come from the farm.
The tips I typed directly from the article.
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe you will achieve. Salt-N-Pepa
Co-Leader Brazil Team
Leader Eco-Friendly Sparkers
| current weight: 184.0