SLOW COOKER STEEL CUT OATS WITH APPLES AND PEARS
Quick and easy to prepare!
COOK AHEAD for the whole week! (especially if you're in a hurry in the morning)
Take it to work and heat it up. you'll be less hungry during the day.
I eat it every day once or more, for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
2 points per cup following the recipe as is.
4 small pears, peeled, seeded, and diced
4 smallapples, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 1/2 cups steel cut oats (I like the organic Steel Cut Oats Hot Cereal by Arrohead Mills)
6 cups water
1 stick cinnamon
Add Stevia or Splenda to taste when done
Put everything in the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on LOW.
1. you can make a smaller amount.
2. The amount of water has to be 4 times the amount of oats.
For 1/2 cup steel cut oats, use 2 cups water
3. This recipe makes enough for the whole week.
4. You may add raisens, dates, dried crunberrie, or other dried fruits, if you wish, while counting your points(calories).
Check Trader Joe's for wonderful selection of dried fruits.
5. I like to eat it hot with vanilla soyslender milk (you can use skim milk)
6. You may add pinch of ground cardemon, cloves, pumpkin spice......
7. It fills you up (HIGH FIBER: 8 grams per 1/4 cup dry steel cut oats plus high fiber in apple and pears)
8. I add splenda to taste and 1 TBS. of DaVinchi sugar free, fat free syrup (0 calories per 1 TBS.)
9. I add (for additional points) 1 cup berries
(I buy frozen berries at Trader Joe's)
11. It's also great with 2 TBS. FF (or low fat) cottage cheese
12. YUMMY with 1-2 tsp. low fat PEANUT BUTTER (for additional points)!!!
Edited by: PERSISTENCEMIMI at: 1/15/2008 (13:09)
|505 Maintenance Weeks