Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
 

team110forum


  Team Forum
Dog Lovers

A Guide to Posting in Your SparkTeam Forum

  FORUM:   General Team Discussion Forum
TOPIC:   Raisins!!!! 


Search
Reply Create A New Topic Subscribe to this Discussion
Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
Author: Message: Sorting Last Post on Top


3HOURLADY
Posts: 1,619
7/23/12 2:14 P

3HOURLADY's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
The vet said the same thing that not all dogs are affected by raisins, but you just don't know if your dog is going to be ok or will get kidney failure from eating raisins. She said they don't know the exact chemical in the raisin that is the toxin, so all they can do is try to get it out by vomiting, or by flushing the kidneys with the IV. All it takes is a few minutes for this to happen. My daughter left the kitchen for a short time, and Bear managed to get on his hind legs, and he tore open the bag of raisins that was on the table. She came back in the kitchen, and found the torn bag on the floor, and Bear had eaten about 4 cups of raisins. There is a 2 hour grace period before the digestion moves the raisins into the small intestines, so we were lucky we got them out while they were still in his stomach, and had not been absorbed.



MARYANN2323
MARYANN2323's Photo SparkPoints: (120,000)
Fitness Minutes: (48,152)
Posts: 5,301
7/23/12 1:37 P

MARYANN2323's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Another food you should never feed your dog is Onions, in ANY form. Fresh, dry, powdered, all can destroy the red blood cells, leading to anemia. Garlic, as well, in larger amounts.

There are many great sites on the web about toxic foods for dogs. Just google "Toxic foods for dogs." I highly recommend you look into this. Some foods on the list will surprise you.


When the world says, "Give up."

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

-unknown-

DO IT BECAUSE YOU CAN!!

The number on the scale does not define you. The love in your heart, does.
by MaryAnn2323


 current weight: 190.0 
 
200
187.5
175
162.5
150


0309COOKIE
0309COOKIE's Photo Posts: 8,391
7/23/12 1:13 P

0309COOKIE's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Thank goodness you got it handled right away! Glad to hear your pup is fine now.



HOUNDLOVER1
HOUNDLOVER1's Photo Posts: 7,618
7/23/12 10:40 A

HOUNDLOVER1's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
The tricky thing with raisins and grapes is that some dogs seem to handle them just fine so people let their guard down. But for many dogs they are very dangerous. Not sure if there may be a genetic difference.

You can talk to God all you want and that's great, but the changes happen when you start listening to him.

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN OTHERS.




 Body Fat %: 18.3
 
23.6
22.2
20.8
19.4
18


LORIELP
LORIELP's Photo Posts: 2,120
7/23/12 10:33 A

LORIELP's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
My 5 year old grandaughter fed Bentley 15 rasins from a little snack sized box she was eating. I gave him a dose of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting right away. Very scary situation. I now don't have grandaughter snack on rasins unless I have a close eye on her. Lorraine



 current weight: 187.4 
 
193
182.25
171.5
160.75
150


WLIBERTY
WLIBERTY's Photo SparkPoints: (28,915)
Fitness Minutes: (31,679)
Posts: 594
7/23/12 9:27 A

WLIBERTY's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
emoticon For warning the group. I was shocked on one site that an owner who was unaware of this was using Raisins and grapes for training treats. Another one that is not well known is sugarless gum and candies. They are deadly for dogs.
Thanks again, Wliberty

Edited by: WLIBERTY at: 7/23/2012 (10:45)

 current weight: 144.7 
 
161
154.75
148.5
142.25
136


FLOWERDALEJEWEL
FLOWERDALEJEWEL's Photo Posts: 32,991
7/23/12 6:15 A

Community Team Member

FLOWERDALEJEWEL's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply

As Laurie says, there are so many things that are toxic to our pets.

Grapes (or the toxin in their seeds) is (as far as I know) a compounding poison that is a grape here and a grape there will see a build up in their bodies, like Bracken Fern which does the same. Please be careful as well if you use Grapeseed oil when you are cooking I think this is just a poisonous.

Peace and long life - Jules

Team Leader Rescued/Adopted Dog and Cat Lover's Team

www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_i
ndividual.asp?gid=39487


Team Leader SLIGHTLY SKEWED & A Little Warped Team

www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_i
ndividual.asp?gid=16802


Team Leader Home & Garden & DIY - On A Budget

www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_i
ndividual.asp?gid=10178



LMB-ESQ
LMB-ESQ's Photo Posts: 10,399
7/23/12 4:59 A

LMB-ESQ's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
There are an unbelievable number of items out there that are toxic to animals, including foods, plants, and medicines. The best thing to do is keep your counters and tabletops cleared of everything. Keep everything either behind a cupboard door or well out of the animals' reach. Put baby locks on your cabinet doors if you have to and remember that cats can climb up on top of refrigerators. We have animals that like to counter surf and we learned this lesson the hard and expensive way, just like your daughter.

I'm so glad Bear is alright!!

***** Laurie in Northeast Ohio *****

Fortunate are you if you love a dog, for that dog will surely love you.

Fly Free my friend.... for only in true freedom can we find our true selves

Treat stressful situations like a dog... If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away!

Neat Link: The Rules for Being Human rules4humans.com/


 Pounds lost: 0.0 
 
0
6.25
12.5
18.75
25


MARYANN2323
MARYANN2323's Photo SparkPoints: (120,000)
Fitness Minutes: (48,152)
Posts: 5,301
7/23/12 2:25 A

MARYANN2323's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
It's good of you to warn people of the hazards of raisins. Even just a few raisins can cause these problems. Also, do not feed your dogs grapes!! They are, in fact, just fat raisins. Can be very toxic!

Edited by: MARYANN2323 at: 7/23/2012 (02:26)

When the world says, "Give up."

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

-unknown-

DO IT BECAUSE YOU CAN!!

The number on the scale does not define you. The love in your heart, does.
by MaryAnn2323


 current weight: 190.0 
 
200
187.5
175
162.5
150


3HOURLADY
Posts: 1,619
7/23/12 2:14 A

3HOURLADY's SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
My daughter's 5 month old German Shepherd, Bear, got hold of a bag of raisins, and we had to rush him to the vet to get his stomach pumped. The vet gave him a shot to cause vomiting, then a shot to stop it, and then some charcoal.Then they gave him a saline IV for 3 days in the dog hospita to keep the kidneys flushed outl. Then 3 more blood tests over the next two weeks to test for kidney function. Bear is fine now with no damage because we got him to the vet right away. The bill came to almost $2000. The vet said raisins have a substance in them that is toxic for a lot of dogs, and it causes kidney failure. It's really important to get them to vomit right away so the raisins don't get past the stomach. It was a nightmare. We had to go all the way out to the 24 hour vet clinic an hour away because it happened at night after hours. Bear is getting big now, and loves to stand up to check the counter and table for goodies. We have to be so careful to keep everything out of his reach.



 
Page: 1 of (1)  
   
Report Innappropriate Post

Other Dog Lovers General Team Discussion Forum Posts


Thread URL: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x110x49109633

Review our Community Guidelines