I went in for a normal doctor visit yesterday morning. I knew my doc was on vacation and that I would be seeing the midwife. I also knew they would be doing an ultrasound, just to check on things. But I was expecting a normal, routine visit. Then home for lunch and a nap (DD had slept very badly the previous night).
But when the midwife came to talk to me after the ultrasound, she said that my fluid levels were dropping. I was still in an okay range, but only just barely. I was supposed to go over to labor and delivery at the hospital and check in. She had phoned my doctor, who was considering whether he wanted to come in Wed. evening or Thurs. morning to do a c-section.
So off DD and I go to L & D. We get checked in, and DD already unusually tired, is now freaked out. She was upset when I put on the hospital gown, upset when I laid in the bed and got hooked up to a monitor, and REALLY upset when the nurse came to take blood. My parents came to get her as soon as they could, but they don't live in town so we did have to wait for them to make the trip.
Just afternoon, a nurse told me that the midwife would be by to talk to me soon. Now it seemed there was a possibility of letting me go home yesterday and coming back in Thursday morning for an ultrasound and making a plan from there. However, I was not allowed to eat anything "just in case" something ended up happening sooner. The anesthesiologist also came by to talk with me "just in case."
Around 2, I still hadn't seen the midwife. Now I was told another doctor would come see me, and he would tell me what had been decided. So still I wait. At 3, they finally agreed to let me have lunch. And at 8:40 yesterday evening, I FINALLY saw the doctor. They wanted to keep me overnight, and do an ultrasound this morning with a biophysical profile, to see if the baby was still healthy and thriving.
The baby got a perfect score on the profile this morning, so I was allowed to come home. My fluid levels had even gone back up. So I go back tomorrow and have another ultrasound, and I should be able to talk with my own doctor and make an official plan of some sort, based on whatever info the ultrasound reveals. But it's not looking like this little one is going to wait until April to make her appearance.
And I guess the moral of the story is don't have any issues while your doc is on vacation! It was VERY frustrating to sit and wait all that time when no one would tell me anything!!
"Be not afraid of going slowly. Be only afraid of standing still."--Chinese proverb
| current weight: 156.4