January Sales: Wii and Wii Fit Set Records, Industry Grows
by Game Informer Online
POSTED: 2/13/2009 3:11 PM
According to the NPD Group sales data for January 2009, Nintendo set software and hardware sales records for the month while revenue rose 13 percent for the video game industry as a whole.
Wii Fit sold 770,000 units in January, setting a record for software sales in the month. The title sold 300,000 more units than second place Wii Play. Mario Kart Wii ranked third with just under 300,000, and Electronic Arts’ Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360 topped all non-Nintendo games at the number four slot.
Wii sold 679,200 units in January, setting a record for software sales in the month. Nintendo DS and Xbox 360 ranked two and three with 500,000 and 300,000 units, respectively.
NPD analyst Anita Frazier notes the continued success of games released months ago and tells how this data implies new consumers are still discovering the industry. "Only two of the top 10 games this month were new releases," said Frazier. "The continued strength of games that have been in the market for some time clues us in to just how many new consumers are coming into the industry. This broadening of the audience for gaming will help buoy the industry through these tough economic times, provided they have enough compelling content to keep them interested."
US VIDEO GAMES INDUSTRY - JANUARY 2009
Software: $676.6M (+10%)
Hardware: $445.4M (+17%)
Accessories: $209.8M (+11%)
Total Games: $1.33B (13%)
TOP-SELLING HARDWARE - JANUARY 2009
Nintendo DS: 510,800
Xbox 360: 309,000
PlayStation 3: 203,200
PlayStation Portable: 172,300
PlayStation 2: 101,200
TOP-SELLING SOFTWARE - JANUARY 2009
Title / Publisher / Units*
1) Wii Fit w/ Balance Board (Wi) / Nintendo / 777,000
2) Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) / Nintendo / 415,000
3) Mario Kart Wii w/ Wheel (Wii) / Nintendo / 292,000
4) Left 4 Dead (360) / Electronic Arts / 243,000
5) Call of Duty: World at War (360) / Activision Blizzard / 235,000
6) Skate 2 (360) / Electronic Arts / 199,000
7) Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) / Activision Blizzard / 155,000
8) New Super Mario Bros. (DS) / Nintendo / 135,000
9) Mario Kart DS (DS) / Nintendo / 132,000
10) Lord of the Rings: Conquest (360) / Electronic Arts / 113,000
If You're tired or starting over stop giving up
Tema - Matteson IL
"Tenacity is the quality displayed by someone who just won't quit -- who keeps trying until they reach their goal. Anything really worth doing takes persistence, perseverance, and stubborn determination! I AM a Tenacious Jungle Tiger and these are my survival skills!!" www.beachbodycoach.com/ABRANNEWME201