I think it is pond scum, but probably more likely some kind of corrosion of the aluminum combined with the minerals in our water and the bacteria from our breathing. I too wash with tap water.
I breath and sleep better with the moisture. My new machine is ready and I could have picked it up today, except my SIL brought her daughter to visit us at the shop. I can scour that tank with a brush. It feels clean to me.
You know they tell us not to use aluminum cookware because it is not healthy. I will be glad when they switch to the stainless steel.
Yes, my old machine has a similar water tank. I have dropped marbles in it trying to get it cleaned. It seems to happen with both distilled and regular water. Luckily, my insurance would let me switch tanks every six months.
Now I don't have insurance and am using the old machine again until I can get the new one repaired. I dropped it.
Do you remember those old long q tips for cleaning the insides of 8 tracks and VHS machines. I wonder if anyone sells them anymore. I bet they might help scrape up some of that residue.
I figure the minerals won't hurt me and the scum from bacteria can be neutralized with the vinegar.
I was thinking about trying some baking soda with the vinegar to see if that would help. I thought about salt water too, but that would probably pit the aluminum. Wish they made the tanks with stainless steal. I think that would be healthier.
Hi! I am wondering if any of you have had this problem. I have had my water chamber for the first time in the last six months and have used a cpap for about twelve years.
I have the resmed S9 machine with a well that does not open. There are only 2 only openings- one is much smaller that a dime and the second is about the same diameter as the tubing since this is where it attaches to the machine.
Resmed suggested that I use a mild dish detergent that rinses easily like Ivory...no anti bacterial detergents.
I rinsed it faithfully every morning with distilled water until I thought, "Ridiculous!" and began rinsing with tap water. Every other day I used the Ivory liquid, rinsed and shook and left it to dry all day.
Last week when began to fill the well before going to bed, I noticed reddish pink film in the bottom of the container. I emptied it, did not use it and called the medical supply co. They told me that they had never heard of this. I called Resmed. they said that they had never heard of this.
They offered to replace the container. However, this will not solve the problem. I have since learned that I do need to use vinegar and water to clean the water chamber, BUT there are so many nooks and crannies in the container, how will I be able to get to all of the parts of the container??
The med. supply co. said that the problem could be my water. Has anyone had this problem or heard of this before? I am reluctant to use my machine again....
I will be able to get new hoses, filter and mask at the end of the month, but my sleepy brain and body do not wish to wait that long.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.