Good for you for making positive healthy changes.All the new healthy habits you change , will help you tremendously to maintain your weight loss.
let me look for my favorite compiled list of habits to work on...I'll be back shortly.
Learn one habit at a time, not all in one day.....smile....
Today I'll start working on # 4 .
Restrict Kitchen visits after dinner except for planned snacks, water and herbal tea.
1. Slow down! You are eating too fast.
Control your food intake
From university of Arkansas
Slow down your eating. Put your fork, knife, spoon, or sandwich down after every bite. It takes 20 minutes to begin to digest food so you no longer feel hunger.
Taste, chew thoroughly, and swallow the food before taking another bite. This may be hard if you usually put food on your fork before swallowing.
Stop eating in the middle of the meal or snack and wait 2 minutes or count to 120. This gives your body more time to begin to digest food.
Leave the table and return after 2 minutes or have a pleasant conversation with someone for 2 minutes.
Use a fork or spoon to eat everything. Do not use fingers.
Avoid bending over your plate. Sit up straight and bring the food to your mouth-not your mouth to the food.
When you get the urge to eat, try doing some activity like taking a walk.
Try to eat so slowly that you are the last one finished eating, without taking second helpings.
Use a smaller plate than you usually do and take smaller bites.
Leave the table as soon as you are finished eating.
Do something that signals the end of the meal - have a cup of coffee or tea, brush your teeth, and wash your hands.
Try leaving one or more bites of food on your plate. This helps reinforce the control you have over your eating habits and helps you know you do not have to eat everything placed in front of you.
Drink a glass of water before sitting down to eat.
Plan 5-6 small meals a day rather than 3 larger meals. Avoid getting too hungry.
Never skip a meal, especially breakfast.
Control high calorie foods like chocolate rather than eliminate them; occasionally, save calories for your favorite foods and desserts.
2. Eat at the table (not in the car, by the tv, or by the computer).
3. Hide the Scale( I meant to say the "Evil Monster"). only weigh yourself on your WID.
4. Restrict Kitchen visits after dinner except for planned snacks, water and herbal tea.
5. Journal ABSOLUTLY EVERYTHING!
6. Include high, rich, healthy Proteins in your diet daily for more energy.
7. Choose a variety of grains daily, especially Whole Grains.
8. Limit Alcohol, high sugar and high fat foods.
9. Plan in advance what you're going to eat, write it in your journal, and then follow your plan. (you write it, you bite it).
10. Drink at least 64 oz of WATER each day
Brush your teeth after EVERY MEAL ( AND SNACKS???).
11. Take at least 15 minutes of "ME TIME" daily.
12. Make the RIGHT HEALTHY FOOD CHOICES daily (i.e. no junk foods today).
13. Measure yourself and record it.
14. Learn to say NO!!!
15. What is your daily favorite activity?
16. Gone Fishing: Eat fish at least twice a week.
17. What do you do when you get the Late- Night Munchies?
18. Think about ways to reduce stress in your life.
19. Eat out - eat right.
20. Think about ways to reduce stress in your life.
21. Use a veriety of foods in your diet.
22. Holiday Makeover (make healthy holiday meals}.
23. Surviving the weekend.
24. Limit your cafein intake.
25. Do not skip any meals.
26. Learn to enjoy life: Get behind the idea that your life is NOT all about your weight and food.
27. Plan in advance what you're going to eat, write it in your journal, and then follow your plan. (you write it, you bite it.
28. Cook Savvy - Fiber Up.
29. Think about ways to reduce stress in your life.
30. Use a variety of proteins in your diet.
31. Give yourself non-food rewards for doing well.
32. Surviving the Weekend.
33. Limit your cafeine intake.
34. Do NOT skip any meals.
35. Eat 5-6 small meals a day (to boost metabolism).
36. The Four O'Clock Hour ( after work).
37. False Hunger : Learn to identify.
38. Write a note to yourself about something POSITIVE you did today for YOURSELF.
39. Try a new healthy recepie.
40. Did you take your vitamins today?
41. Think about all the time you are spending thinking about your weight. Instead use that time more productively.
42. Do You Know Your Favorite foods?
Design a food plan that include foods you like BEST.
43. Add extra vegetables to entrees.
44. Go for Low Energy Density;
Energy density is affected by how much water a food contains. The higher the water content,the lower the energy density.The lower the energy density, the fuller you will feel on fewer calories.
45. Make time for meals.
46. Use smaller plates and dishes.
47. Indulge in ONLY what you LOVE.
48. Make it a ritual. Create a ceremony (set up the table with a nice tablecloth and beautiful dishes and glassware)to revel in your favorite food pleasures. Use best china, eat slowly and enjoy every bite.
49. Schedule it: Make an appointment in your calendar to exercise.
50. Leave at least ONE bite of EACH item on your plate at each meal.
51. Sleep: Become aware of you body's sleep patterns. Notice when your body needs sleep.
52. Weigh and Measure everything you eat.
53. Procrastinators anonymous: Do something you have been putting off...Pay those bills, handle an okward situation, Balance your check book, Clean out a closet
54. LOOKING GOOD , FEELING GOOD! ( for yourself and not for others)!!! Wear something you really like wearing that you look fantastic in it!
55. Stock your pantry, refrigirator, and freezer with healthy foods items.
56. Let's switch our MEALS: make your Breakfast or Lunch the MAIN meal of your day. (the French are thin because they eat their main meal at mid day. they eat a LIGHT evening meal. It is (according to research) more healthy to eat light in the evening).
57. Ways to feel GOOD right NOW.
58. Learn to handle holidays stress.
De-Stress your holidays.
59. Meals for busy people: Make ahead healthy meals, freeze them in individual containers and use them on days you're too busy to cook.
60. 9 To 5 : Diet Strategies for dieting on the JOB.
61. Healthy Snacks for ROAD TRIPS
62. Things to do INSTEAD of eating.
63. How to stay on track on VACATION.
64. Surviving Happy Hour.
65. One day a week-vegetarian.
66. Consumed ALL my points(calories), but I still want to eat, eat, eat. What shall I do? I'm HUNGRY!
67. A week with 3 Dinners with Fish and Seafood.
Canned tuna doesn't count.
68. What is your REAL problem? (if you think weight is the problem, you'll choose the wrong solution).
69. Eat ONLY when you are physically hungry.
70. Never DEPRIVE yourself of foods you like. Learn to incorporate them in moderation and accountability.
71. The Core problem is: Lack of Self Love.
Be KIND and Compassionate with Yourself.
Be curious, NOT critical.
72. Have endless PATIENCE!
73. Accept and celebrate your BODY.
74. Listen to and TRUST yourself.
75. Shall I weigh myself every day, once a week, or NOT at all? (it's recomended to weigh in once a week while loosing the weight).
76. Eat a Fist Size of food - Your Personal Portion Guide.
77. Try it! You'll like it!
Try something NEW: A new recipe, new exercise, you name it.
78. NO perfection. No "shoulds" or "could haves" - Just your BEST for TODAY.
79. "Worrying is like a rocking chair". Sure it gives you something to do, but in the end you never get anywhere.
80. "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint', then by all means paint, and the voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh.
81. "Be not afraid of going slowly: Be afraid of standing still" - Chinese proverb.
82. Deside AHEAD OF TIME what to order out.
83. Go to bed earlier.
84. life one learns that if you don't paddle your own canoe, you don't move" - Katharine Hepburn.
85!. Life has TWO rules:
1. Never quit
2. Remember rule # 1!
86. The DICTIONARY is the only place where "success" comes before "work".
87. "The good news is that the bad news can be turned into good news when you change your attitude" - Robert Schuller.
88. A journey of thousands miles begins with a single step" - Chinese proverb.
89. "If we go back to our old ways, we'll go back to our old "weighs".
90. "Some people are always grumbling because roses have throns.
I am thankful that throns have roses" - Alphonse Karr.
91. The hardest part about exercise is putting on those sneakers!
92. Make a list of three things you want to accomplish this week.
93. Put a dollar bill in a jar for each ON PLAN day.
94. W.I.D.R.T- What I did right today? Focus on the POSITIVE ACTIONS.
95. Make your HEALTH a priority.
Nothing taste as good as healthy feels.
96. We do NOT have to be PERFECT to make Amazing Success Happen!
97. Make your HEALTH a priority
Nothing taste as good as healthy feels!
98. Self Sabotage: How we fail with NO help at all!
99. Eat the rainbow colors in vegetables and fruits.
100. Serve fresh fruit for dessert.
101. Cook with olive, canola or other healthy oil instead of butter or margarine whenever you can.
102. Sit up straight to eat, and you’ll eat about 10 percent less.
102 HABITS FOR A HEALTHIER YOU!
Please work on them (yes! it's work!) ONE habit at a time!
Add these if not on the list
From "The Power of Positive Habits" by Dan Robey.
CHOOSE ONE habit at a time, work on it, master it, and then move to master another habit.
One Habit at a time.
One step at a time.
Here are some Positive Habits for a better health, and for losing weight.
POSITIVE WEIGHT LOSS HABITS:
1. When dining out, make a habit to request how your food is prepared.
2. Eat four to five small meals per day instead of three large meals.
3. Substitute Club Soda or Sparkling Water for Soda drinks.
4. Drink green tea daily.
5. Drink eight glasses of water per day.
6. Eat in a well - lit room to prevent Binge eating.
7. Weigh yourself once a week.
8. Carry a 32- ounce water bottle filled with cold water.
POSITIVE HABITS THAT MOVE YOU:
1. Wear a pedometer.
2. Deep breathing.
3. Jump rope for ten minutes and get fit quick.
4. Reward yourself to help make working out a positive habit.
5. Run spot run! Workout with your pet every day.
6. Don't push the elevator button.
Lose weight by taking the stairs every day.
POSITIVE HABITS FOR HEALTH AND FITNESS:
1. Replace bad fats with good fats.
2. Take Flax every day for a healthy, trim body and lower Cholesterol.
2. Always order salad dressing on the side.
3. Substitute Soy burgers for hamburgers.
4. Always order baked potatoes plain.
5. Eat more low-fat dairy.
Lose 70% more fat, reduce cancer risk.
6. Substitute Trans-Fat Free Margarine for Trans-Fat margarines and butter.
7. Review nutrition labels.
8. Substitute Peanut or almond butter for butter and cream cheese.
Which of these HABITS you've master alrready, and which ones you will work on mastering?
Star building one new habit today !!!
One Step at a Time Weight Loss Tipswww.arfamilies.org/health_nutrition/walkac
100 smartest diet tips ever health.yahoo.com/weightloss-motivation/100
I Can Only Handle One Diet Change Right Now. What Should I Do?
1. Add just one fruit or veggie serving daily. Get comfortable with that, then add an extra serving until you reach 8 to 10 a day.
2. Eat at least two servings of a fruit or veggie at every meal.
3. Resolve never to supersize your food portions—unless you want to supersize your clothes.
4. Make eating purposeful, not mindless. Whenever you put food in your mouth, peel it, unwrap it, plate it, and sit. Engage all of the senses in the pleasure of nourishing your body.
5. Start eating a big breakfast. It helps you eat fewer total calories throughout the day.
6. Make sure your plate is half veggies and/or fruit at both lunch and dinner.
Are there Any Easy Tricks to Help Me Cut Calories?
7. Eating out? Halve it, and bag the rest. A typical restaurant entree has 1,000 to 2,000 calories, not even counting the bread, appetizer, beverage, and dessert.
8. When dining out, make it automatic: Order one dessert to share.
9. Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate.
10. See what you eat. Plate your food instead of eating out of the jar or bag.
11. Eat the low-cal items on your plate first, then graduate. Start with salads, veggies, and broth soups, and eat meats and starches last. By the time you get to them, you'll be full enough to be content with smaller portions of the high-calorie choices.
12. Instead of whole milk, switch to 1 percent. If you drink one 8-oz glass a day, you'll lose 5 lb in a year.
13. Juice has as many calories, ounce for ounce, as soda. Set a limit of one 8-oz glass of fruit juice a day.
14. Get calories from foods you chew, not beverages. Have fresh fruit instead of fruit juice.
15. Keep a food journal. It really works wonders.
16. Follow the Chinese saying: "Eat until you are eight-tenths full."
17. Use mustard instead of mayo.
18. Eat more soup. The noncreamy ones are filling but low-cal.
19. Cut back on or cut out caloric drinks such as soda, sweet tea, lemonade, etc. People have lost weight by making just this one change. If you have a 20-oz bottle of Coca-Cola every day, switch to Diet Coke. You should lose 25 lb in a year.
20. Take your lunch to work.
21. Sit when you eat.
22. Dilute juice with water.
23. Have mostly veggies for lunch.
24. Eat at home.
25. Limit alcohol to weekends.
How Can I Eat More Veggies?
26. Have a V8 or tomato juice instead of a Diet Coke at 3 pm.
27. Doctor your veggies to make them delicious: Dribble maple syrup over carrots, and sprinkle chopped nuts on green beans.
28. Mix three different cans of beans and some diet Italian dressing. Eat this three-bean salad all week.
29. Don't forget that vegetable soup counts as a vegetable.
30. Rediscover the sweet potato.
31. Use prebagged baby spinach everywhere: as "lettuce" in sandwiches, heated in soups, wilted in hot pasta, and added to salads.
32. Spend the extra few dollars to buy vegetables that are already washed and cut up.
33. Really hate veggies? Relax. If you love fruits, eat plenty of them; they are just as healthy (especially colorful ones such as oranges, mangoes, and melons).
34. Keep seven bags of your favorite frozen vegetables on hand. Mix any combination, microwave, and top with your favorite low-fat dressing. Enjoy 3 to 4 cups a day. Makes a great quick dinner.
Can You Give Me a Mantra that will Help Me Stick to My Diet?
35. "The best portion of high-calorie foods is the smallest one. The best portion of vegetables is the largest one. Period."
36. "I'll ride the wave. My cravings will disappear after 10 minutes if I turn my attention elsewhere."
37. "I want to be around to see my grandchildren, so I can forgo a cookie now."
38. "I am a work in progress."
39. "It's more stressful to continue being fat than to stop overeating."
I Eat Healthy, but I'm Overweight. What Mistakes Could I Be Making without Realizing It?
40. Skipping meals. Many healthy eaters "diet by day and binge by night."
41. Don't "graze" yourself fat. You can easily munch 600 calories of pretzels or cereal without realizing it.
42. Eating pasta like crazy. A serving of pasta is 1 cup, but some people routinely eat 4 cups.43. Eating supersize bagels of 400 to 500 calories for snacks.
44. Ignoring "Serving Size" on the Nutrition Facts panel.
45. Snacking on bowls of nuts. Nuts are healthy but dense with calories. Put those bowls away, and use nuts as a garnish instead of a snack.
46. Thinking all energy bars and fruit smoothies are low-cal.
What Can I Eat for a Healthy Low-Cal Dinner if I Don't Want to Cook?
47. A smoothie made with fat-free milk, frozen fruit, and wheat germ.
48. The smallest fast-food burger (with mustard and ketchup, not mayo) and a no-cal beverage. Then at home, have an apple or baby carrots.
49. A peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread with a glass of 1 percent milk and an apple.
50. Precooked chicken strips and microwaved frozen broccoli topped with Parmesan cheese.
51. A healthy frozen entree with a salad and a glass of 1 percent milk.
52. Scramble eggs in a nonstick skillet. Pop some asparagus in the microwave, and add whole wheat toast. If your cholesterol levels are normal, you can have seven eggs a week!
53. A bag of frozen vegetables heated in the microwave, topped with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts.
54. Prebagged salad topped with canned tuna, grape tomatoes, shredded reduced-fat cheese, and low-cal Italian dressing.
55. Keep lean sandwich fixings on hand: whole wheat bread, sliced turkey, reduced-fat cheese, tomatoes, mustard with horseradish.
56. Heat up a can of good soup.
57. Cereal, fruit, and fat-free milk makes a good meal anytime.
58. Try a veggie sandwich from Subway.
59. Precut fruit for a salad and add yogurt.
What's Your Best Advice for Avoiding those Extra Holiday Pounds?
60. Don't tell yourself, "It's okay, it's the holidays." That opens the door to 6 weeks of splurging.
61. Remember, EAT before you meet. Have this small meal before you go to any parties: a hardboiled Egg, Apple, and a Thirst quencher (water, seltzer, diet soda, tea).
62. As obvious as it sounds, don't stand near the food at parties. Make the effort, and you'll find you eat less.
63. At a buffet? Eating a little of everything guarantees high calories. Decide on three or four things, only one of which is high in calories. Save that for last so there's less chance of overeating.
64. For the duration of the holidays, wear your snuggest clothes that don't allow much room for expansion. Wearing sweats is out until January.
65. Give it away! After company leaves, give away leftover food to neighbors, doormen, or delivery people, or take it to work the next day.
66. Walk around the mall three times before you start shopping.
67. Make exercise a nonnegotiable priority.
68. Dance to music with your family in your home. One dietitian reported that when she asks her patients to do this, initially they just smile, but once they've done it, they say it is one of the easiest ways to involve the whole family in exercise.
How Can I Control a Raging Sweet Tooth?
69. Once in a while, have a lean, mean salad for lunch or dinner, and save the meal's calories for a full dessert.
70. Are you the kind of person who does better if you make up your mind to do without sweets and just not have them around? Or are you going to do better if you have a limited amount of sweets every day? One RD reported that most of her clients pick the latter and find they can avoid bingeing after a few days.
71. If your family thinks they need a very sweet treat every night, try to strike a balance between offering healthy choices but allowing them some "free will." Compromise with low-fat ice cream and fruit, or sometimes just fruit with a dollop of whipped cream.
72. Try 2 weeks without sweets. It's amazing how your cravings vanish.
73. Eat more fruit. A person who gets enough fruit in his diet doesn't have a raging sweet tooth.
74. Eat your sweets, just eat them smart! Carve out about 150 calories per day for your favorite sweet. That amounts to about an ounce of chocolate, half a modest slice of cake, or 1/2 cup of regular ice cream.
75. Try these smart little sweets: sugar-free hot cocoa, frozen red grapes, fudgsicles, sugar-free gum, Nutri-Grain chocolate fudge twists, Tootsie Rolls, and hard candy.
How Can I Conquer My Downfall: Bingeing at Night?
76. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The large majority of people who struggle with night eating are those who skip meals or don't eat balanced meals during the day. This is a major setup for overeating at night.
77. Eat your evening meal in the kitchen or dining room, sitting down at the table.
78. Drink cold unsweetened raspberry tea. It tastes great and keeps your mouth busy.
79. Change your nighttime schedule. It will take effort, but it will pay off. You need something that will occupy your mind and hands.
80. If you're eating at night due to emotions, you need to focus on getting in touch with what's going on and taking care of yourself in a way that really works. Find a nonfood method of coping with your stress.
81. Put a sign on the kitchen and refrigerator doors: "Closed after Dinner."
82. Brush your teeth right after dinner to remind you: No more food.
83. Eat without engaging in any other simultaneous activity. No reading, watching TV, or sitting at the computer.
84. Eating late at night won't itself cause weight gain. It's how many calories—not when you eat them—that counts.
How Can I Reap Added Health Benefits from My Dieting?
85. Fat-free isn't always your best bet. Research has found that none of the lycopene or alpha- or beta-carotene that fight cancer and heart disease is absorbed from salads with fat-free dressing. Only slightly more is absorbed with reduced-fat dressing; the most is absorbed with full-fat dressing. But remember, use your dressing in moderate amounts.
86. Skipping breakfast will leave you tired and craving naughty foods by midmorning. To fill up healthfully and tastefully, try this sweet, fruity breakfast full of antioxidants. In a blender, process 1 c nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt, 1 1/3 c frozen strawberries (no added sugar), 1 peeled kiwi, and 1 peeled banana. Pulse until mixture is milkshake consistency. Makes one 2-cup serving; 348 calories and 1.5 fat grams.
87. If you're famished by 4 p.m. and have no alternative but an office vending machine, reach for the nuts—. The same goes if your only choices
Edited by: PERSISTENCEMIMI at: 4/28/2011 (08:31)
|492 Maintenance Weeks