We have a column in our local newspaper "Ask Amy"
Someone wrote in with tips for dealing with "friends pontificating about their political point of view"
Here they are:
"When my friends start spouting off, I like to ask the following questions:
1. What life experiences led you to your political view?
2. In what areas do we agree?
3. Is there anything President Barack Obama (or whomever they're pontificating against) has said or done that you approve of?
4. Has anyone ever told you that you converted him/her to your point of view?
5. Have you ever changed your mind due to something some else said?
Most folks have never thought of these things and it invariably leads to fascinating conversations and a lot of bridge building."
signed - Paula from Fresno
Amy wrote back:
"Dear Paula you are exceedingly civilized. Unfortunately, in my world, people just don't talk the way you do. I tried your technique with an opinionated family member, who let me get all the way to question #2 before saying, *Amy shut the hell up*, and walking away."
You just can't talk to some people (wingnuts in particular) about politics no matter how civilized you are!
Edited by: COACHPENNY at: 11/30/2009 (15:36)
“A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.”
| Pounds lost: 5.5