Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
Fitness Minutes: (2,097) Posts: 23 9/4/11 4:11 P
What is your name? My name is Julie. Here on SparkPeople and on Twitter, I'm jflamingo2.
2. Where are you from? I grew up in Lehi, UT. Now, I live in the enchanted city of San Antonio, TX where I've been for the last 12 years.
3. What is it that you like about writing the most? I love words! I enjoy seeing how they'll take shape from my mind onto the page. So many times they take on a life of their own. I love writing poetry, prose, short stories, essays and articles.
4. What is your main goal for being on SP? I'm here to gain support to keep the weight off (lost about 80 lbs. so far) that I've been slowly losing over a period of about 3 years now. I really don't want to re-gain my weight and I have somewhat struggled with this. I also hope to live a healthy lifestyle and become a writer of health and fitness articles to help motivate others.
5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? As long as I can remember, I've loved flamingos so I incorporate them in many areas of my life. They inspire me!
I'm looking forward to getting to know you.
current weight: 190.2
Posts: 24 9/7/10 6:49 P
1. What is your name? My name is Jo but I go by Rainspark on this site:)
2. Where are you from? A small quirky mountain town called Nederland, Colorado.
3. What is it that you like about writing the most? I am not really a writer, but I do enjoy jotting the occassional poem or story. I also journal sometimes to process my thoughts and work through my emotions.
4. What is your main goal for being on SP? Keep track of my nutrition and fitness, learn about what works for me and stay motivated with the help of like-minded friends:)
5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? I like the rain and the name popped into my head so I went with it.
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~Dolly Parton
Edited by: RAINSPARK at: 9/7/2010 (18:50)
Fitness Minutes: (3,921) Posts: 75 8/2/10 3:19 P
1. What is your name? My name is Elaine Jarvis but I go by the online moniker "prayerpilgrim".
2. Where are you from? I'm from Goshen, Indiana
3. What is it that you like about writing the most? I love creative self-expression in all forms. I love language and finding just the right word that has the nuance and shades of meaning you want and evokes a certain emotion. I love the rythmn and flow of a well crafted paragraph or poem. I love that good writing and reading can be healing.
4. What is your main goal for being on SP? Get healthier, happier and lose at least 100 pounds.
5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? It is based on the following poem by Mark Nepo and reflects my feelings about my own identity and the function of prayer in my life:
To journey without being changed is to be a nomad. To change without journeying is to be a chameleon. To journey and be transformed by the journey, is to be a pilgrim.
Edited by: PRAYERPILGRIM at: 8/5/2010 (17:51)
Pounds lost: 15.0
Posts: 185 8/2/10 2:27 P
Hi all my name is Angelique but everyone calls me Angel.I'm from Northern Indiana.
My passion for writing started apparently when I was about 3 yrs old. My mother found me crying in front of my book shelf. When asked why I was crying I explained that I was upset that everyone could read the stories and I couldn't. I was told that I got to attend school and be taught how to read them, and I couldn't have been more thrilled. Once I learned, my arms weren't big enough to tote all the books out that I would read in the two weeks the library let me borrow them. Writing my own stories and poems came later. I also found trupoets.com and made it my home. (I now co-run the site with a dear friend I made there after joining) I also met my fiancé on trupoets so the site is near and dear to my heart. It will always be the place where my writing grew, and so did I.
SP was suggested to me when my fiancé was trying to loose weight and I wanted to join him in his efforts. My main goal is to lose 128 lbs (nearly 40 of that is now behind me!) and become a healthier more active person.
drum30 is a part of my last name and a highway I live near and was also an old email address.
I look forward to getting to know everyone on the team.
Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it. ~ Lucy Maud Montgomery~
Posts: 13 8/1/10 10:42 P
1. What is your name? Monique 2. Where are you from? Australia 3. What is it that you like about writing the most? I think forme writing is a bit of a release. I find i mostly tend to be 'inspired' to write when i am depressed or feeling down or numb.So often my writing is some scary stuff. But i do so love it. 4. What is your main goal for being on SP? Losing weight obviously. I'm not entirely sure how much i want to lose. I just want to feel healthy and alive like i used to. 5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? Haha. thats an easy one. As a kid everyone called me neaky or variations of such. And sometimes my dad would call me squeak. Actually he still does. The furst one to combine the two however was a boy i grew up with. A little to my charign he still calls me that even in public. But i figure there could be sooo many worse nicknames. I just changed the spelling a little
current weight: 216.0
Posts: 622 7/15/10 12:12 P
1. What is your name? My real name is Cheryl 2. Where are you from? I live in Ohio currently. I was born at Vandenburg AFB California. I was primarily raised on a Dairy Farm in Northern Wisconsin which is where I choose to be "from." 3. What is it that you like about writing the most? I love the release that comes from just spewing forth what is festering inside of me on to a fresh page whether it be paper or computer screen, although I must say I prefer paper and pen and a quiet secluded place where I can loose myself in my writing. 4. What is your main goal for being on SP? My main goal is to lose 35 lbs minimum and 45 lbs maximum and if I make a few new lifetime friends along the way...well, that would be fine by me too. 5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? Well, right now although I am still me no matter what my shell looks like I am Big but still me but I am on a journey to be a stronger person on the insider for having stayed the course and finished my journey to a little me on the outside. I will still be me on the inside, but I will be a stronger, more confident, healthier me on the inside and just a bit smaller on the outside...ergo...BigmeLittleme...this represents the inner struggle that goes on inside between the me that I am now versus the me that I want to be. BigmeLittleme
Edited by: BIGMELITTLEME at: 7/15/2010 (12:14)
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me! Philippians 4:13 Praise God!
current weight: 180.5
Fitness Minutes: (5,308) Posts: 136 5/17/10 3:54 P
If I did this before, please forgive me, I forgot. My name is Judi and I live in Ohio. I joined a social group in CT and we did a lot of writing. We put together a newsletter. Next, my daughter and I joined a clown troupe (that's right a clown troupe). It was a lot of fun; we wrote our clown stories.
I started college, needless to say, we did a lot of writing. I entered a creative writing class.
I fell and could not move. During my recovery, I started writing again. I read my poems to a group I belonged to. The more I read the more they like them, the more I wrote. So far, I have written close to 100 poems and have copyrighten 80 of them.
In 1997, my mother died. To honor her and the rest of my relatives I put together a memorial book of 20 pages. It included poems, family tree information, paintings which I drew, 4 pages of memories. I made enough copies to present to my family and our friends.
In Ohio, there is a 3-day disability conference. One year, the key-note speaker was Marllee Matlin. I presented with my poem dealing with disability.
I, now, am an editor for a disability newsletter,
This year is the 20th anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disability Act. We are having an essay, poetry contest. I am one of judges. It is interesting.
The neighborhood I lived in put on an annual summer festival. I set up a booth for how people felt in my neighborhood and displayed them.
Judi Basile Mendriski
Fitness Minutes: (11,233) Posts: 702 4/17/10 2:47 P
Hey, ALL...I am Erika. Originally from Indiana--living in Houston, TX for past 17 years. I have been writing since I was a pre-teen. Mostly poems about unrequited love, school-girl crushes. When my brother died (I was 15/he 19), my poems and prose turned darker---about death, mortality, etc. In college, as I grew closer to the Lord, He now write through me--stories and poems of love, God, relationship with my Savior... My main goals for SP was to lose weight--but, I have found many friends of like-mind...it is nice to pray for each others needs, revel in each others successes, and encourage each other through hard times. My college roommate introduced me to her father and he said, "Ah, you are a wisone indeed..." That is a nickname that stuck for awhile.
I love my life right now...I enjoy my work, my church, I love my family and friends. And, though I want to lose weight--it is not really about a "body image" issue--it is more health and fitness. I want to be able to go on mission trips (to build wells, homes, etc.) and, being at a light weight and more healthy/fit lifestyle will make this much easier and I will be able to work longer and harder at my weight goal.
I have been at my weight goal before--2001. I lost 35 pounds on Weight Watchers. After about 4 years--I began to gain it back (relationship issues caused me to turn to food for comfort and turn AWAY from exercise). But, now, I am back on track and feeling great!!
This is a great team...looking forward to getting to know everyone!!
"Success is a journey, not a destination."
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'" Yoda-Empire Strikes Back
current weight: 193.8
Posts: 246 1/20/10 9:27 A
Hi, everyone! I'm Heather, from Pittsburgh. I've lived here most of my life, though I live a short time in Orlando while I was in school. Turns out blizzards are way better than hurricanes!
I spend most of my time writing poetry as I enjoy the craft and challenge that comes with poems, as well as expressing myself in my own way. I've tried the "practical" route of journalism, but found that I really just did not enjoy being bound by "facts" and other's opinions and words.
I originally joined SparkPeople on a recommendation, but didn't really get involved right away. But, I'm finally ready to lose the last 15 pounds!
As for my username, I used a childhood nickname (my sister couldn't say "Heather," instead pronouncing it "Hea-zoo" which later morphed to Zooey) and my maiden name last initial.
Edited by: ZOOEYG at: 1/21/2010 (14:13)
Pounds lost: 11.6
Fitness Minutes: (3,240) Posts: 83 8/14/09 8:34 P
My name, as boring as it is, is Anna. I've always said my mother jinxed me to a life of clumsiness when she named me that :).
Let's see, I was born in Princeton, IN, raised in a Chicago suburb, married a sailor and lived in Italy for 7 years, and am now alone in Ohio (he passed away last year).
I realized late in life that I enjoyed literature and writing. My strongest area is in nonfiction. I've done small pieces such as a restaurant review, a travel piece, and a how to article. My English professor is my mentor. I'm in college as an English major with aspirations of teaching college English/creative writing part time while I write.
I joined SparkPeople because I was desperate to lose weight. In 15 months I've managed to gain 10 pounds. But I'm not quitting.
As for my username, I simply used my first initial and my last name. Grieving has had a negative effect on my creativity.
Anna, Member at large email: email@example.com
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
Fitness Minutes: (3,900) Posts: 195 6/18/09 10:21 P
My name, my real name that is, is Kersten. It's Austrian, I'm not. Only a handful of the people I've met have pronounced it correctly on the first try, so few that it's become the fastest way to my heart. I'm from Silicon Valley (born in Claremont, CA, while my parents were in grad school--but we're all northerners in our hearts). I go to art school in San Francisco and live with my mum in Switzerland during the vacations. Gosh...what do I like about writing? Everything except the work! My parents forced me to read in my childhood (we didn't have a T.V. until I was 14) and the love of language and paper just stuck. I aspire to librarianship as much as I do to authorship (the grammar of that sentence may not hold up, but then what are copy-editors for?) and for whatever reason, I can't write convincing plays. Oh well. My main goal on Spark is to lose weight. I type this with absolutely no irony. My username is the name of my brother's favorite Sim (from The Sims 2). Aldabateuse is an alien character spawned through intergalactic abduction. He is green. I like green. And I'm a Sims/Astronomy geek. So that's that.
The Swiss Alien Aldabateuse
current weight: 508.0
Fitness Minutes: (120,776) Posts: 21,287 3/30/09 12:57 P
1. What is your name? Janisse
2. Where are you from? I currently live in West Sacramento, California, but am from the Bay Area.
3. What is it that you like about writing the most? I love to write. I like to try different styles of poetry. Writing makes me feel good and sometimes helps me to relieve stress.
4. What is your main goal for being on SP? I am on SP to connect with like minded people. I enjoy the tools available on the site because they will help me become more accountable and stay motivated.
5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? My username is Ms Makeover. I chose this name because I am working on making myself over in many ways.
“When you're a beautiful person on the inside, there is nothing in the world that can change that about you. Jealousy is the result of one's lack of self-confidence, self-worth, and self-acceptance.
The Lesson: If you can't accept yourself, then certainly no one else will.”
current weight: 246.6
Posts: 88 1/9/09 4:59 P
1. What is your name? Kelly 2. Where are you from? I live in Britain it's gray :-P 3. What is it that you like about writing the most? Sometimes there are so many thoughts in my head I can't listen to them properly Writing helps me organise my thoughts, I feel like I'm defragging my hard drive! 4. What is your main goal for being on SP? Lose 20lbs and eat a healthy diet to complement my active lifestyle. 5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? The lady that lived in my house before I moved here was called margaret, I was trying to think of a username and I saw one of the "return to sender" envelopes so I guess I pinched my name, I added the numbers from my eBay user id to make it unique.
Mags2108 - I like your username
Posts: 26 1/6/09 11:38 A
Hi all I'm new to Spark and to this team, I can't believe the motivation that goes on here, beats weightwatchers and slimming world into a cocked hat!! I'm from Yorkshire, England, decided 2009 was the year to take stock and remake my life. Have written for as long as I can remember, wrote my first 'story' at the age of six when after the summer holidays all our new class had to write about what they did in the break, everyone else seemed to have gone to the coast, rode bikes, went camping etc. I still have my effort, apparently I went to Egypt and discovered a fabulous tomb all by myself!! lol
current weight: 158.0
Posts: 196 1/2/09 3:20 P
1. What is your name? Tonya 2. Where are you from? New Market,TN 3. What is it that you like about writing the most? put my emotions on paper 4. What is your main goal for being on SP? lose weight 5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it? Jade is/was my puuppy & best friend she was born 3/18/07 & died 8/12/08 she had epolispy & I did't no it (I took her 2 the vet regularly) & she died of a seizure she saved my life though in ways no1 will ever understand
1. My name is Desiree. 2. I am from New Jersey. 3. I love writing because, there is no feeling I can feel that I am not able to express through writing somehow. My mind might freeze up with words but, eventually it all comes out. Writing is an expression of the heart, the soul, and of life. I am truly grateful to have this love of writing it has made me a better person.
4. My main goal for being here on SP is to eventually get down to 135-130lbs. I am hoping to do so some time next year. I would also just like to feel happy and healthy and satisified with the way that I look.
5. My username (applehead326) was a "nickname" my boyfriend had given me a while back. I got my hair cut short one day and it was "bright" red so I guess that my head reminded him of an apple! Therefore I became, applehead! And the 326 part is just my birthday, March 26th!
And, that's about it for me. Hopefully I get some good responses and you will join in and introduce yourself!
current weight: 167.4
Posts: 5,315 12/16/08 11:22 P
1. What is your name? 2. Where are you from? 3. What is it that you like about writing the most? 4. What is your main goal for being on SP? 5. Tell us about your username, how did you come up with it?
And anything else you might like to share!
current weight: 167.4
Page: 1 of (1)
Other Writers and Poets Introduce Yourself to Team Forum Posts
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkTeams, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.