1. What's your favorite healthy meal? I don't really have a favorite. I love all food, even if some of it doesn't love me back. But a meal I especially enjoy is salmon baked with a heavy coating of paprika and dried tarragon, with a side of Brussels sprouts and a "dessert" of a shake with coconut milk and frozen unsweetened cherries (or other fruit).
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? No, I dreamed my athletic dreams as an adult and though not an athlete I've achieved many of my fitness visions, for the most part.
3. What's the last book you read? Two bundles of a mystery series set in post WWI Europe. Lol, bundle 1 was approximately 900 pages and number 2 approximately 600, so it took a while.
4. How do you like to unwind? Many different ways.
5. Anything else you'd like to share? My New Year's Resolution is to remain below 120 pounds. That's pretty much it lol.
Edited by: AMARANTHAQ at: 1/18/2014 (17:54)
Resolved in 2014 to remain below 120!
current weight: 116.8
Fitness Minutes: (41,220) Posts: 1,071 11/8/13 11:31 A
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? It changes over time. Now I'm enjoy a lot the salads I prepare in the evenings, with smoked salmon. I grew up eating a lot of fruits from our fruit gardens, and I still enjoy eating a lot of green and raw fruits and vegetables, it's not really a challenge for me to eat "5 servings of fruits".
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? I totally wanted to get into the footsteps of Michael Jordan. Then I wanted to be Phil Jackson, the coach who won many times the NBA with his teams. Then I was a basketball referee for a couple of years, and dreamed of being a referee in a finals game of FIBA or NBA. Funily, I haven't played basketball since I left university, I'm totally into other sports now!
3. What's the last book you read? I'm reading about 15 books in parallel, they are in a box next to my bed. None of them is an easy to read cover-to-cover, so I always pick up one that I feel like reading, and letting go of the urge to "finish" it, and I speed up at parts that seem to be less interesting. One that I really like is: "50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology - Shattering Widespread Misconception about Human Behaviour" (Scott Lilienfeld et al., 2010) But I also have books suggested in the Maintenance group, like: "Thin For Life - 10 keys to success from people who have lost weight and kept it off" (Anne M. Fletcher, 2003)
4. How do you like to unwind? Get on my bike and just go. Watch a good action movie that makes me forget about daily life and makes me think I can save the World. Party-party-party!
5. Anything else you'd like to share? This healthy lifestyle became my daily job over the past three years, as I now work as a healthy lifestyle coach, helping other people to learn a healthy lifestyle. Sparkpeople.com in general, the many responses on my blogs here, the community support, all have a great deal that I went ahead to make the plunge and go for this. Three years ago, when I registered on Sparkpeople as an R&D engineer in a big food-manufacturing company, I would have never thought about this. But, during this three years I turned my body to the healthiest I've ever had, I went to study coaching and consulting and spend more than a cars price in the process, and at the end of the course, despite my classmates who are in business coaching, and I decided to support people to reach the same experience I had, a healthy life that is fun and easy to do. And it seems that is such "a big market", I don't even really look for clients, just people from my entourage come, which makes me happy on one hand, but on the other hand it tells "there's a lot to be done" in this area. So, I'm particulary happy for this and the other maintenance group, it's a great support for me both on my personal journey, and also in supporting others. If you can suggest me books, ideas, articles, etc. that can be helpful for maintenance, and in supporting others, please continue to share.
Edited by: HAKAPES at: 11/8/2013 (11:37)
Oliver Paris/Vienna time. 5% challenge: Spritited Underdogs
Just step-by-step. It goes a long way!
Total SparkPoints: 40,437
SparkPoints Level 16
Fitness Minutes: (7,081) Posts: 201 10/6/13 7:03 P
Welcome, Jennie and congrats for reaching your goal weight!
"Nothing happens without a dream."
current weight: 147.0
Fitness Minutes: (13,278) Posts: 1,465 9/29/13 12:24 P
Hi, Everyone! My name is Jennie, and I'm super-happy to say I'm at my goal weight of 137, as of September 1 (I'm 5'4"). I am 48 years young, a divorced mom of an 11-yo girl and I live in Los Angeles. I am very happy to be here.
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? It's still so crazy to me to say this, but I love a big green salad with avocado, sweet bell peppers, walnuts, grilled chicken, and poppy seed dressing. It is my go-to meal and I can't believe how much I love it now.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? I was a kid when Dorothy Hammil, the figure skater, won Olympic gold and I admired her a lot. Now I admire all women athletes, in whatever sport they're in.
3. What's the last book you read? A Discovery of Witches, by Deborah Harkness.
4. How do you like to unwind? Reading, exploring the SparkPeople site or Facebook, working out (walking/jogging with Leslie Sansone's DVDs, the FIRM DVDs, Ashtanga yoga, hiking), watching old episodes of The Office on Netflix, and puttering around the house.
5. Anything else you'd like to share? Thanks for starting this group! :)
Edited by: ANGELCITYGAL at: 9/29/2013 (12:29)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -- J. London
Started DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution (book by Marla Heller, M.S., R.D.) on 3/8/2013. Lost 40 lbs total and reached goal weight on 10/23/2013.
I'm a bride-to-be. I'm marrying my best friend on 5/24/2014.
current weight: 139.5
Fitness Minutes: (7,081) Posts: 201 9/23/13 10:13 P
Hi All! My name is Alison. I am 52, married with 3 grown children, live in NW Arkansas and love to walk! I am happy to have found this team because I feel like maintaining weight loss is MORE difficult than losing it in the first place. I lost 30lb between January and June of this past year and have maintained it since then (about 3 months). I feel like this time, I have a different attitude toward maintaining than I had previously but I think that I need all the help than I can get. I am looking forward to giving and receiving support in this group.
1. What's your favorite healthy meal?
I really and truly LOVE vegetables so my favorite meal would be some grilled meat or chicken with assorted grilled and sauteed veggies.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid?
I was never athletic as a kid....in fact, I hated and dreaded gym and not because I was overweight. I was just a skinny and uncoordinated kid. But, as an adult I have always dreamed of being a "fit" person. I lost my weight with a healthy diet coupled with walking 3-5 miles a day, at least 5 days a week. My dream is coming true!
3. What's the last book you read?
The last book that I read was Barbara Kingslover's "Prodigal Summer". I usually have a couple of different kinds of books on the go and my husband and I read together aloud.
4. How do you like to unwind?
I enjoy quilting but my favorite thing to do is hang out with friends or family just talking and enjoying a glass of wine.
5. Anything else you'd like to share?
I had basically given up hope that losing weight and getting fit was even possible at my age (52) and with the hormonal challenges of menopause. I still can hardly believe that I have lost 30 lbs and that I can see my waist again. I am thankful to have found Spark People as I see it as an important tool in my maintenance journey.
"Nothing happens without a dream."
current weight: 147.0
Fitness Minutes: (76,552) Posts: 2,885 9/21/13 5:02 A
hi, i'm susan, soon 62 years old, from winthrop WA, though i spend summers in sweden and winters in molokai. life is complicated, and we're trying to simplify...eventually, it will be molokai and sweden, but for now there is a fair amount of travel in our lives. i'm a translator, so my office is wherever my laptop is, and my clients are in sweden, so my working hours, at least in winthrop, are midnight to six a.m., which offers its own challenges in terms of eating. i have three children, one grandchild, and a border collie who is our personal fitness trainer - he needs to get out and move every day, so we do. i have a history of losing and gaining, and i've been in maintenance since august 2012 (hit my first real goal in june 2012). maintenance is hard work, and though i managed to stay at the low end of my range through spring 2013, pounds crept back with travel, and i've managed to get back to a good weight in my range, but not the bottom. maintenance takes work, and shaking things up, so i thought joining a new team would be a good way to re-ignite!
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? that's tough - anything with peanut sauce, which is usually a salad with napa cabbage, snow peas, green onions, cucumber, grated carrot, tofu or edamame, and spicy peanut sauce.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? no - i was always the last kid picked for any team, so sports were to be avoided at any cost (though i was always thin as a kid, weight did not creep on until i was 30). in my 30s i started walking daily, and in my 50s i surprised myself and started running (slowly), and ran my first half marathon at age 56. now, i try to keep up my running using the galloway run-walk method, but my bigger motivator is the fitbit - we walk daily, aiming for 15,000 steps a day average.
3. What's the last book you read? ah - hard to say, i'm a romance novel/kindle addict, with a new book just about every day.
4. How do you like to unwind? see above - walking, running, reading romance novels, and researching healthy plant-based whole food vegan meals - and cooking them!
5. Anything else you'd like to share? see above!
looking forward to participating on the team!
live every day so the border collie is happy for a good, active life! "i run because i can" coach nicole! "I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far." john bingham "Right here, right now, right choice" cannie50!
susan WA state PNW time zone +3 hours difference from EST
SW march 25: 123 GOAL met may 15: 111.0 GOAL met june 11: 108 GOAL met august 13, 2012: 103 maintenance goal: 105
current weight: 0.0 under
Posts: 790 9/18/13 8:06 P
Hi, I'm Sylvie, aged 58, from mid Vancouver Island, BC Canada and I've been with Spark people for 10 months now, 8 of which I've been in maintenance. I've never kept my weight off this long before and I know it's the accountability factor I find here. I track my food and fitness daily and check in with my favourite teams daily also.
I don't have a favourite meal as I love most foods and have been a healthy eater most of my adult life, I just ate too much healthy food, yes, it too puts on weight!! If I had to pick, I'd say lunch hour as that's when I allow myself to eat nut butters and rice crackers with lots of fresh veggies and fruit on the side.
I'm reading a cuckoo's calling right now by Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling... I'm enjoying it. My last book was called My Secret Daughter.. I can't remember by who, but it was a really good book.
I used to love weight lifting when I was in my 30's and followed the body building world and then fibromyalgia and osteo set in and gradually I gave that up.. I also loved running, but with back problems and sore joints gave that up also.
To unwind I like to read, knit, watch TV and walk the dogs.. I love being out in nature and try and get outside everyday for a walk, unless the weather turns really bad! I used to bundle up in rain gear, but am getting softer in my old age and stay in and do yoga instead!
I really enjoy the spark community and all the support I've found here..
Reached goal weight 112 lbs November 23, 2012
current weight: -3.5 under
Posts: 9,004 9/18/13 8:17 A
My name is Carrie and I'll be 65 in about a month. I lost 100 pounds 2 years ago, but since I had never prepared for maintenance, I gained back 60 pounds. I'm now in the process of losing that and want to make sure I don't make the same mistakes this time.
One thing I learned was that my goal weight was too low and that I would probably do better at something a bit higher.
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? Breakfast - 1 egg and egg whiteoimelet with spinach and mushrooms
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? Tennis. It will never happen since I had ankle fusion in February and running is now only a memory
3. What's the last book you read? All the Men In this Village Are Liars
4. How do you like to unwind? Read - I go through several books a week
5. Anything else you'd like to share? Not at the moment
There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action. Since there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique.
current weight: 160.6
Posts: 8,255 9/18/13 12:58 A
I'm so glad I came across this team. I'm looking forward to learning how to transition to maintenance and making new friends.
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? I love my hubby's yummy pot roast, potatoes and carrots.
2. Is there an athlete or sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? I wasn't athletic or really interested much in sports as a kid.
3. What's the last book you read? It was by Janet Evanovich. I'll have to look up the title. I'm currently reading "Eating Thin For Life".
4. How do you like to unwind? It depends on the situation. Sometimes it helps to do a good walk on the treadmill, and other times I enjoy doing my cross stitch or doing something on the computer.
5. Anything else you'd like to share? I'm about 3 pounds away from where I'll probably go on maintenance. Ideally, I'd like to lose another 5 pounds after that, but I think that would be a real challenge to maintain over time and I want to do this long-term. I'm looking forward to learning from others who have successfully maintained their weight.
Edited by: DEBSZOO74 at: 9/18/2013 (23:28)
Debbie from CA BLC24- Ivory Falcons SW: 138.0 GW: 138.0-140.0 EW:
Fitness Minutes: (35,135) Posts: 675 9/17/13 9:50 P
Hi Team! My name is Kim. I am officially the 50th member of this team. Woohoo!
My favorite meal is breakfast. I love a microwave flaxseed muffin or toast with PB with a Greek yogurt and some berries. In fact I have one of these combinations almost every day.
Athlete in another life: I wanted to be Mary Lou Retton. My girls take gymnastics now. I can only hope! LOL. I love my advanced step class now and running. Never did either of these activities before joining SP.
Last book I read: I am just finishing the Inferno by Dan Brown. Love his books. I learn so many new things.
I unwind at the end of the day by sparking or reading.
Other information: I am a transition maintainer. I have been at my goal weight range for 5 months. I am always looking to gain a better perspective to maintain this healthy living journey.
"Be what you want, but always be you!"
"Enjoy each moment because it is a gift."
Maintenance goal obtained April 12, 2013!
current weight: -2.2 under
Fitness Minutes: (114,557) Posts: 21,464 9/17/13 12:12 P
Hi, I'm Aurlie
What's your favorite healthy meal? That's tough. I eat a salad for lunch most days and that's good for me. Lately, I've been thinking about grilled trout, but I haven't done anything about it.
Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? When I was a kid, I dreamed of figure skating. Now I just like running -- alone or with the dog, I've never participated in a race.
What's the last book you read? I just finished "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us" Boy, is that depressing! I just started reading "Baked In" for my office bookclub -- it has nothing to do with food.
How do you like to unwind? During the day I walk. Evenings I read or play on my laptop.
Anything else you'd like to share? When I was younger I was "naturally thin." When my lifestyle changed the pounds came on fast and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to reverse the trend.
March Minutes: 1,920
Posts: 181 9/16/13 9:24 P
1. Favorite healthy meal-- Breakfast oatmeal with walnuts, yogurt, black, rasp, straw and blue berries, craisins raisins, celery(chopped and cooked in it. What ever friut is around if the others aren't Usually just three of the above with oatmeal and yogurt.
Lunch Kitchen sink salad: like the breakfast but with veggies, seeds, nuts and mushrooms maybe a little chicken if it is skinless.
2. sports - I used to row on a crew team in high school. I looked up to my coach who was my life time friend and mentor, until he died after hitting his head in a ladder fall.
3. book Fat to Fit How to lose it and keep it off for life. - Synopsis of the podcast Fat to fit radio
4. Unwind- walk (fitbit user) , bike , and hike in the woods with a friend.
5. Self disclosure: I am 67 retired, love it, My retirement goal is to get down to my weight when married. a normal BMI. I did get unobese recently and am proud to now be overweight and on my way to normal. I have 20ish pounds to lose in the next 6 months. Have lost 40ish pounds since Jan. when I retired. I am not doing anything to lose the weight that I can't continue for the duration.
O, that this too too solid flesh would melt Thaw and resolve itself into a dew!
current weight: 194.2
Fitness Minutes: (22,566) Posts: 541 9/16/13 8:59 P
Hi! My name is Helena and I've been maintaining for about 5 months.
1. My favorite healthy meal is salmon cooked with sweet peppers, onion, and cabbage. Served with whole wheat noodles or brown rice.
2. I enjoyed playing softball when I was a kid but there was no athlete I dreamed of being like.
3. The last book I read was Sounds like Home, a book my mother wrote about her life growing as a deaf person.
4. I love to sit in a room off to myself and listen to soothing music.
5. I start my mornings reading passages from my bible, then I do my exercises, weigh myself and then it's time for breakfast.
Edited by: JULENA1 at: 9/17/2013 (17:15)
Happy is the person who learns to wait as he prays and never loses his patience, for God's time is the best time.
current weight: 134.4
Posts: 237 9/16/13 10:47 A
I've been reading about everyone. What a great bunch of people.
My name is Terry. I've been at goal now for about a year, more or less.
1. Favorite healthy meal. Hmmm. Just changed my eating habits and am still making the adjustment so this one's hard for me. Greens with hemp hearts and dressed with a tsp each of balsamic, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. I also really like Mexican baked beans with chipotle peppers.
2. I love sports. Recently, I've been watching mixed martial arts. I tend to be kind of a wimp and am really loving the spirit of the women. They teach me so much about going after what you love.
3. I love books and reading and writing. Recently, I've been reading fantasy - Robin Hobb's Rain Wild Series. I love historical fiction, too. I started to plot a Victorian era novel and am researching now. We'll see how far I get with it all. I also just read Joel Fuhrman's (sp?) books. Trying some new things out. I'm looking forward to reading some of the books you all have mentioned.
4. Unwind. Sometimes I'm a bit too driven, so this is important for my health. I knit and am working on a fair isle sweater for my SIL right now. I use guided imagery - mostly Belle Ruth Naperstak, but there are so many good ones out there. Writing can be a great unwinder when I don't get in my own way. LOL
5. I'm 55, married to great guy for 25 years next week. We RV a lot and explore the Rocky Mountains. I'm mostly vegetarian, but love a great steak a couple times a year. That just kind of evolved on its own. I have (too) many interests. The big decisions for me are what not to spend my time doing. I love target shooting, hiking, yoga, pilates, exploring the national forests, skiing.
I am so looking forward to getting to know you all.
I am the architect of my life and the master of my dreams.
Posts: 807 9/16/13 10:00 A
Hi, I am Gloria. I've been at goal less than three weeks - pretty exciting! My NEW goal is to stay here - not going to gain it back this time!
1. Favorite healthy meal: At home, either blackened salmon or poached lemon pepper cod with broccoli and maybe a bit of quinoa. Eating out, the chicken hummus bowl from the hidden menu at Panera.
2. Athlete or sport I admired: I was always envious of athletes because I was so not athletic as a child. I was the kid who was always picked last for a team. But I did admire figure skaters! I loved watching their grace and athleticism and wished I could be like that!
3. Last book that I read: I read a fiction book called "Labor Day" by Joyce Maynard. I read a lot...many genres. I also read lots of magazines. I wish that I had more time to read.
4. Unwind: I like to take a walk in the park with my husband, or perhaps a dip in the pool. I might take a hot bath or read a book or magazine. I also might work on some of my crafts.
5. I am trying to run. I can do about ten minutes straight now but I am very slow - only 5 mph so far. I will build up to a ten minute mile over time.
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." Rudyard Kipling
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." Scott Hamilton
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln
current weight: -7.0 under
Fitness Minutes: (35,650) Posts: 1,325 9/16/13 9:16 A
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? - I make delicious lentils with onions, celery, green peppers and petite cut tomatoes.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? - I wasn't athletic when I was growing-up because I was un-coordinated. I had no interest in sports. It is so wonderful now to actually be enjoying exercising at Curves and doing water aerobics 5 days a week.
3. What's the last book you read? The Purple Veil - a book that a friend is going to have published. It is a fictional story of his life growing up in Lebanon. I learned about the history of Lebanon which is where my husband was born and raised
4. How do you like to unwind? I like to walk in both of my yards and enjoy seeing my flowers and check for weeds. I have a beautiful flower garden at my summer home near the beach. My neighbors stop by to say hello when they see me outside weeding.
5. Anything else you'd like to share? It feels so good to know I can get support from this Maintenance team when I feel happy or sad about where I am on the scale. I track my emotions everyday in my daily journal. My eating pattern has a lot to do with what is happening in my life.
Nancy - 5'8" tall 66 years old 1/1/2006 - 257 lbs. 5/22/12 - 183.5 1/1/2014 - 194.8
Center Weight - 192 (+/-3%=187-197)
"Stop the insanity!!!"
"Just Do It!!!"
current weight: 4.8 over
Fitness Minutes: (79,176) Posts: 10,966 9/16/13 9:00 A
Hi, all, I'm Celia, here from At Goal and Maintaining + Transition to Maintenance. I'm 57 and live in northern Virginia. Walking is my passion.
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? My DH's salmon salad: poached salmon on a bed of mixed greens, with capers, kalamata olives, a sprinkling of feta cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? Nope.
3. What's the last book you read? The Spark Solution.
4. How do you like to unwind? Do my administrative tasks (like paying bills) with my feet up watching NCIS reruns for the umpteenth time (or Bones or Law & Order SVU or Criminal Minds or Cold Case).
5. Anything else you'd like to share? Looking forward to learning some of the science, but in the end, I do what works for me, and I love the support I get from team members whether I'm on a roll or backsliding.
Celia Maintaining since May 19, 2012
current weight: 3.0 over
Fitness Minutes: (106,080) Posts: 3,833 9/16/13 8:50 A
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? I love Morning Star Farms Grillers Prime with a salad or a vegetable steamer. They taste like meat, and are vegetarian. I also like brown rice california roll. If I am cooking it would be salmon with garlic and lemon juice broiled with steamed vegetables.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? I don't think I dreamed of being an athelete as a kid. But I always envied dancers their grace and beautiful bodies. I do a Barre workout, but I am so clumsy compared to the ballerinas. Although I am told they exercise for 6-8 hours or more a day.
3. What's the last book you read? I am reading the Beast by Faye Kellerman. The book I read before that was Star Island by Carl Hiassen. I tend to read mystery novels.
4. How do you like to unwind? I read or exercise
5. Anything else you'd like to share? I am a mom of 4, grandmother of 4 with one on the way. I work full-time and am committed to family, my health and fitness. I find making time for me a challenge. In the last year I have done this. I rework my schedule around zumba and pilates classes, I make it a priority and my husband and family are really supportive.
Lynn from Northern New Jersey
5'7" GW 145 - 148
Eastern Time Zone
52 Maintenance Weeks
Fitness Minutes: (57,268) Posts: 417 9/16/13 8:27 A
OK here goes 1. What's your favorite healthy meal? This is difficult. I stay hungry a lot of the time at this weight. That pretty makes the meal in front of me my favorite. So I will use the most recent one I ate, grilled mahi mahi, with a side of grilled vegetables, and a naked baked potato (I put cocktail sauce on that, my friends all make fun until I ask em if they put ketchup on fries :) ) 2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? I can remember wanting to be able to run. Far. Not just a sprint. This was so out of reach when I weighed over 300 pounds that I gave up on it. I run now. So far my longest is 2 miles, but there is a 5 K in my future. 3. What's the last book you read? And finished? "You had me at woof" by Julie Klam. I have ADD so it is hard to both begin and finish a book :) 4. How do you like to unwind? Exercise to music, if physically tired computer word games 5. Anything else you'd like to share? I am completely committed to staying at a normal BMI or within 5 pounds of that (this because at my age research shows the weight I am right now is actually statistically the healthiest that I can be). This gets easier over time! BUT, it never STAYS easy. There is always another pitfall on the road and I tend to fall in them. The good news is that I have not fallen FAR into one for over 15 years. And I have not seen 300 on a scale in over 20 years now.
"A woman should be two things, Who and What she wants" Coco Chanel
current weight: 1.0 over
Posts: 418 9/15/13 8:45 P
I'm Cheryl and I live in MA. Not 100% sure, but I think I've been at maintenance for 15ish weeks. I know it is in my signature.
Not sure I have a favorite healthy meal, but I have several go-to meals. Mini-meatloaf with broccoli and baked potato. I also like spinach, feta pizza if I'm just making something for myself.
As far as sports go, I'm an anti-sport kinda gal. Phys. Ed. was a nightmare and a place to be taunted. I was more of the creative artsy type. I did (still do) like to dance. We camped a lot when I was a kid and spent a lot of time at beaches crabbing and such. We also did LARP, we just didn't know that is what it was. Later, when I started camping with my husband in the mountains, hiking was big.
The last book I read was Chill Factor. I hated it. Two days earlier was a collection of short stories called Vampires in the Lemon Grove. Likes that one much, much better.
Reading is definitely a way I unwind. Writing had been too. Life has been wicked stressful lately though and even reading was hard to do for a while there.
Can't really think of anything more to share that isn't part of my Spark page or blog, so I guess I'll leave it at that.
43 Maintenance Weeks
Fitness Minutes: (450) Posts: 73 9/15/13 11:04 A
My name is Lisa and I live in the Denver area. I found this team through Vtricia's blog, which I subscribe to. Thanks for starting this group!
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? I am a habitual eater, and prepare my food the night before, so I can just throw it in my lunch bag and go to the rec center. My favorite breakfast is a banana and McDonald's egg white delight. My favorite dinner is a small piece of steak, grilled to perfection by my husband, with homemade cole slaw and an ear of corn.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? I also loved to watch Peggy Fleming, and took ice skating lessons as a kid. Now, my hero is my 78 year old mother, who still runs 1/2 marathons. She inspired me to walk one last November, and I have done five more since, with two more this year.
3. What's the last book you read? I listen to books on my IPOD when I'm on the treadmill, and am going through The Walk Series by Richard Paul Evans. It's fiction about a man who walks from Seattle to Key West, and his adventures along the way.
4. How do you like to unwind? Watching tv with my husband, taking a walk in the park nearby, reading inspirational blogs, and taking a nap on Sunday afternoon with my cat.
5. Anything else you'd like to share? I am 51 years old, and started my healthy lifestyle changes when I turned 50. I am married to a wonderful man who has two boys from a previous marriage. I hit goal in January, and join each weight maintenance challenge from AG&M+TM to keep me accountable.
62 Maintenance Weeks
Fitness Minutes: (43,029) Posts: 3,408 9/15/13 9:25 A
1. What's your favorite healthy meal? This is a tough one. My favorite heathy meal when I'm feeling down about having to watch what I eat all the time is probably roasted eggplant with a lightened up bechamel sauce. It's got a decent amount of fat and calories, but easily fits into any day's plan. It reminds me that healthy eating doesn't mean only eating plain lean proteins and vegetables and that you can eat well and stlll manage your weight and overall health.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? Just being able to run a mile. That mile run was always torture for me as a kid and even when I was in decent shape, I still hard a time with it. When I was in my 20s, I finally set my mind to being able to run and actually made it up to doing about 10 miles a pop at my best. I'm not a big runner now, but I can definitely still do more than a mile with ease.
3. What's the last book you read? The Kill by Emile Zola. I'm (slowly) working my way through his entire Rougon-Macquart series.
4. How do you like to unwind? Keeping in touch with my friends and family in the States, meeting up with friends, relaxing with my husband, catching up with my favorite series, watching movies, especially classics and foreign films, travelling, reading and, as often as I can, indulging in fine food and wine.
5. Anything else you'd like to share? My name's Tina and I'm originally from New York, but moved to Venice, Italy in 2007. I got married shortly after moving to Venice and teach English. I had been a yo-yo dieter my whole life--I don't think my weight was ever stable for more than a few months--before losing more than 90 pounds and reaching goal in March 2012, but I've stayed within range since then largely because of the support I get here on SparkPeople. I'm one of the co-leaders of the At Goal & Maintaining + Transition to Maintenance team and am excited that we've built up such a great community dedicated to maintenance here. I truly believe this has been the missing link that has allowed me to be successful and I'm so happy that it's been helpful to others as well. I'm looking forward to our resources growing both on the AG&M+TM team and here!
My name's Tina. I lost more than 90 pounds between March 2010 and March 2012 and have been keeping if off ever since.
Central European Time (CET), Venice, Italy
current weight: 0.0 under
Posts: 1,832 9/14/13 6:12 P
1. A serving of cheese and spinach tortellini, topped with a veggie mixture I sauté in olive oil.... Chopped up tomatoe, spinach leeves, green and red pepper with a pinch of salt, pepper and oregano.
2. I used to LOVE to watch Peggy Fleming skate and wanted to be a skater like her when I grew up. I'm not so much on ice skates!
3. The Pub Across The Pond by Mary Carter. I really enjoy reading!
4. Reading helps me unwind and I'm kind of a guy, I really like to veg out with the remote!
5. I'm 47, live in the Chicago area, married seven years (second marriage) and have two grown kids. My daughter is 28 and my son is 22. I hit my goal weight last November and lost a couple more pounds after that. I have found I really enjoy running, who knew?!
"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing"
Shelby Hyatt Freshman Dallas Academy basketball player after losing 100-0
current weight: -2.5 under
Fitness Minutes: (25,170) Posts: 657 9/14/13 4:36 P
Hi! I'm Nicky, aged 70. I have been living in Albania for the last 20 years. I have taken off 10 kilo since last summer, most of it this year when my January Resolution was to do January Jumpstart, and I actually began to enjoy exercise! I've been enjoying it less recently, but got enthused by the Leslie Sansone blog yesterday and downloaded some of her workouts and did one yesterday as it threatened to pour with rain if I went out with the dogs. (It then didn't..). I've been maintaining since early March, 6 months. I'm 1-2 kilo below my original goal, 55, but am needing to continue to check my cals to avoid going above 56. I've actually revised SP guidelines upwards, as I was continuing to lose weight. I tend to eat above revised guidelines, but have not yet gone above 56. A few years back I was 76, and came down to 58 in a few months, but then bounced back to 65-66 immediately. That was OK, just, but could have been better. With SP, since June 2012, it is far better. And the scales confirm it, as does my enjoyment of exercise ... much of the time. I'm a voracious reader. Biographies, some thrillers, spy stories etc. Above all the Bible, which tells me so much about my Lord, myself and my neighbours, near and far. I enjoy travelling and learning languages - and eating the food of the countries I visit! Today I made a variant of the Thai salad recommended by SP and it was fantastic! I made 4 times the quantity of the sauce base so I can chuck it together quickly the next 3 times! I think it will become a standby. I have 2 large, boisterous Albanian sheepdogs and (sadly now only) one cat, who reluctantly resigned himself to accepting the dogs' overtures of friendship when his feline friend disappeared. They are now firm friends.
current weight: 121.0
Posts: 1,878 9/13/13 10:22 A
My turn: 1. What's your favorite healthy meal? I make nice pizza. I put up to 75% whole grain in the crust and less satl (and yeast). Mozzarella is not bad for calories as cheese goes, and Classico is my favorite sauce. I really like mushrooms, onions, and olives on the pizza and turkey pepperoni. Peppers are okay. My husband really likes sausage, and a little is okay. I've gotten to where I can enjoy 2 slices. I used to eat half a pizza by myself.
2. Is there an athlete or a sport you dreamed of (being like or doing) as a kid? I loved to watch the Olympics and when they brought in Rhythmic Gymnastics I thought that was the coolest thing. In middle school I was a Dolphins fan (just to be contrary, since I lived by DC.)
3. What's the last book you read? My Chemistry Textbook. Closer to an actual book? I started Mastering Metabolism by Jillian Michaels, and it's actually pretty good. I used to be biased against her because she looked good.
4. How do you like to unwind? Messing around on the internet. I have a forum I like to socialize on that I found through a science fiction group. I'm into Dr. Who, Star Trek, and Firefly.
5. Anything else you'd like to share? I come from a really big family and I have several children. It's pretty exciting. I'm a biology major at the community college.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkTeams, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.