I think lack of motivation is one of that main problems of loosing weight.Normally, start a diet or a new (healthier) lifestyle and are extremely motivated. Nevertheless, after a few days or weeks life, bad weather, etc. comes in the way and we fall off the wagon.This is usually the point when we give up and don't believe that we will ever loose the weight. We have all been there and at this point it is important that you dont put yourself down (I know it is hard). Ask yourself the reasons why you want to loose weight and what goals you want to achieve by following a new healther lifestyle and diet. Sometimes it is really helpful and motivating if you have a goal like fitting in certain clothes (again) and/or if you look at old skinny pictures in which you looked just awesome. I have never been skinny and I have always considered me fat, but then a few months ago I found some old pictures (about 12years old) and I noticed that I looked great on them-I was normal weight evn though I had some baby fat.
So here are some suggestions I hope will help you:
1) Think about the reasons why you want to loose the weight.
2) How will you be able to squeeze your new healthier lifestyle within your 'normal' life:
- Set up a plan when you will be able to exercise (how about walking/riding a bike to work if it is not too far away)
- Plan your meals and make shopping lists
- Don't forbid yourself certain 'foods': You are still allowed to eat junk food and fast food as long as you keep tracking it and stay within your calorie range.
- Don't reward yourself with food: If you achieve a goal, find other ways to reward yourself: new clothes, night out, a day or weekend trip with friends or family etc
3) Use the food tracker/Have a food journal and track every little bite: It will keep you accountable. At first it is annoying, but you will get used to it and you will notice how much and what you eat and on the other hand it will be easier to eat healthier food.
4) Use Sarkpeople: Sparkpeople has many articles on motivation, nutrition, exercise, health etc. If you need information on a certain topic about a healthier lifestyle you can find it on this site.
5) Write down your achievements and problems. I noticed that blogging it is very helpful. I am far from being a good writer, but writing down your success or even your struggles will help you to stay or get motivated again.
6) Tell people about your goal to loose weight: Sometimes it is hard to tell family and friends about it because they have seen you fail many times before and this time you don't want to fail. If you don't want them to know about your journey (at first), then use the Sparkpeople community. There are so many awesome people on this site and they all know what you are going through- we are all in the same boat ;-)
7) Keep yourself around positive things/people and try to avoid negativity: If there are people who are not good for you, try to avoid them.
8) It is okay if you fall of the wagon (for a day/night). Don't put yourself down. Try to analyze why you fell of the wagon and think of ways you will be able to avoid it for the future. Don't punish you for it. See it as a chance to become stronger and to learn.
| December Minutes: 0