My advice first, start slow. Start with the things you can and will stick with. Example: Track all your water and food for a week or two. During this time read some of the other sparkies blogs, this so helps with motivation. Once you have the tracking of food down add in a 10 minute walk 3 or 4 times a week. Do what you can stick with and not get overwhelmed. If you get overwhelmed you will want to stop. Also please do not beat yourself up if you go over your calories, keeping coming back to SP. There is not a person here that has not gone over their calories for the day.
Second, my story. I (and everyone else) so understand where you are coming from. I am not sure what finally made me start SP, but something clicked. I had for a numbers of years stayed around 190-195, however by the end of last year I was seeing 200 more often. Clothes no longer fit. For some reason (and I wish I knew so I could tell everyone), something clicked and I have logged into SP every day for the past 121 days. I have lost over 25 pounds. I will tell you it was not easy, it has taken dedication to log my food on the days when I have eaten something that I really should not have and went over my calories and fat.
The motivation to log in each day and be willing to make these changes is up to you. I can tell you it is worth it. I love the way I feel. I stopped drinking ALL soda and do not feel bloated and uncomfortable. I drink water 99% of the time, tea and one cup of coffee cover the other 1%. These changes I have made were not easy and I can not go back to them or I know where I will end up.
Best wishes to you and I hope you are able to find the motivation and support here on SP to keep coming back. Everyone here is great for support, motivation and advice on those days you need it.
Don't be so hard on yourself! First, make sure that you track everything you eat - that was an eye opener for me. I now track everything I put in my mouth. Second, set smaller goals for yourself, it makes the journey of weight loss much easier. Don't focus on the past - you can do this!!
“One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.”
Pounds lost: 34.2
Fitness Minutes: (0) Posts: 5 5/31/12 5:05 P
HI - I'm new - was 40 last year and was fat - not what I had hoped for... I was going to NY for my birthday and wanted to be slim so I could enjoy shopping etc., but no....
I've had a few moments in the past year or so that really should have been my "RIGHT, THAT'S IT" catalyst, but yet here I am, still well over weight and miserable. One of my moments was in Italy last year - we went to Florence for the day and I thought I would wear a dress. With the heat and the constant walking, I ended up with severely chafed inner thighs. It was so sore that had me in tears - I practically cried myself to sleep that night from the pain and the embarassment. I'll never forget that moment - my children feeling sorry for me and my husband spraying aloe vera on my red raw legs. That should have been the moment that my life changed but it didn't - I have no idea why.
I joined SparkPeople earlier in the year because I was full of gusto and had done some online research and this looked like a really good site, however, I'm just revisiting it now. Not sure what's sparked (no pun intended) my renewed interest in this site - probably the fact that I am embarassingly fat and know I need to do something about it.
I am 5'10" and weigh 213lbs - I need to lose at least 40lbs. I've been trying to seek inspiration from the blogs (of which there are loads of inspirational stories) and 40lbs seems like nothing in most cases - some of you have lost 150+ lbs! That is incredible - how did you manage it? What was your RIGHT THAT'S IT moment? How did you know you were goin to get there?
I honestly hope this is it for me; I've done all the other weight loss programmes out there and joined all the forums etc., but I've never gotten to that happy weight... (chubby) fingers crossed.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.