Welome to SparkPeople. I also tried the Atkins Diet for 1+ weeks and ended up with bowel trouble. A friend of mine was on it for a long time and has had heart trouble since. So, no I would not suggest that diet to anyone. WW I lost well on - 50# - but, I had gained most of that back when i went off. SparkPeople teaches you how to eat for the long haul with all kinds of food allowed. Enjoy your Spark journey.
One Day At A Time Dear Jesus!!!
Not looking at how many # to go but back and how many #s I've already lost!!!
current weight: 169.9
Fitness Minutes: (330) Posts: 275 4/8/13 8:31 P
Hi welcome I hail from No CA. Used to work in an ER and saw lots of people coming in that had problems with Atkins diet. ER docs told me not to stay on that diet for longer than two weeks, will create big time problems down the road. My girlfriend stayed on it for quite some time and ended up with kidney problems and loss of muscle tissue. Please be careful. I live alone and have a difficult time cooking for one. Fortunately WW has now come out with a new cookbook (finally) that has recipes for single serve. They sold out the first day at all the locations. Spark People Cookbook is not bad, most of their recipes are for 4 servings. I feel better when I eat more carbs. My nutritionist told me I should eat 275 mg of carbs per day. I tried cutting them down but didn't feel good until I increased them. But I am sodium sensitive and have to keep my sodium at 1500 mg a day. Thought it would be easy because I was not raised w/salt and don't have a salt shaker in my home. But the first day I tracked my sodium I was at 4500 mg. Big eye opener. Bev
Bev rom Sacramento CA West Coast Time zone
Total SparkPoints: 87,579
SparkPoints Level 19
Fitness Minutes: (330) Posts: 275 4/8/13 8:10 P
Greetings, everyone! I love this team's goals about trying new foods and doing home cooking, and I think I am really going to like it here -- especially since it is difficult to find recipes for "just the two of us!" My husband and I are on the Atkins plan, and also on a budget, so I am looking forward to seeing some great tips that I can adapt to our particular situation... and sharing some, too, of course!
1. Location (State): Oregon
2. Is this where you are from? No, I am a Missouri native, and lived there for all my adult life (17 yrs.), until 4 years ago!
3. Married, single, etc.: Married
4. Kids ? (have any) Nope! Neither of us wants children, and we're in our 40s, so it is also unlikely to happen, at this point. :)
5. Animals ? (have any) 3 cats
6. Hobbies, interests: I love cooking, menu planning, exploring frugal pursuits (reading/bargain hunting/trying new things), gardening, and playing World of Warcraft; I am also an avid reader, and I enjoy desktop publishing an annual page-a-day calendar for my family and friends... it is a lot of work, though, to come up with something interesting and personal for us 365 days/yr and every year after that! ;)
7. How long a member of spark? Just re-joined; was a member long ago, but they didn't have a lot if you were into low-carbing, so it wasn't the right place for me back then. Glad to see more resources and involvement now.
8. How many are you cooking for? 2, and I cook 3 meals/day at home.
9. How can the team help in supporting and aiding you in meeting your goals? I love reading/trying new recipes, so the more the better! If you know nutrition (especially carb) counts, even better.
10. Anything else you want us to know about you? Can't think of anything - thanks for the welcome aboard!
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn’t.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.